• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Support: Can't download movies etc. any more?

Peter T

Lurker
Hi there,

Yesterday I "rented" a movie from the Google Play Store, and I tried to "download" it to my phone for offline viewing later on, but for some reason I couldn't. I have been able to download movies successfully in the past -- most recently about three months ago, I think -- but for some reason, every time I've tried to download this newest rental, it just hasn't worked.

Coincidentally, or not, about a week ago I noticed that another of my apps -- the one for the Globe and Mail (a Canadian newspaper) -- was telling me that its twice-daily efforts to download the latest edition for offline reading were "incomplete". This didn't bother me much, as I wasn't actually using the app to read the paper that often. But now I wonder if there's some deeper problem that is affecting both of these apps.

My phone seems to *have* enough space for a movie or whatever. The "system" memory is about 2GB altogether, and I'm only using half of that for app storage. I have another 1.37GB free on the internal USB storage, and another 6GB free on the micro-SD card.

Any thoughts as to what might be the problem here? It's no biggie -- I can always watch my rental when I've got a wi-fi connection -- but if it signifies some sort of deeper problem, I'd like to nip it in the bud while I can.

Thanks!

I would expect Google Play would want to store it to the memory section labled USB storage, which is usually about 11GB when empty.

1) Are you sure that the download is not larger than the amount of storage available internally?

2) What is the usual file size for the rented movie file? I have never rented from a mobile device so I don't know exactly how it is supposed to work.

3) Did you install any new apps just before Globe&Mail ceased downloading as it should?

Back
Top Bottom