• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "suspend" process

Been trying to figure this out since Froyo and I think I finally found the solution. Well, so far anyway, for the last 3 days I haven't had the dreaded "suspend" running uncontrolled in the background.

What I found is that almost everyone this occurs with, seems to have the System Panel app, so I thought this was a good place to start. I basically just went into settings and deselected the High Priority setting in the Monitoring Settings. When it's selected, it prevents service shutdown of the app. So far, since I've deselected this, I haven't had the suspend process running continuously in the background.

Try it out on your end and see if this helps.
This isn't it. I only installed System Panel app once I noticed that my phone was discharging it's entire battery in 4 hours all of a sudden. I wanted to track down the culprit, so I bought System Panel. I think this is a case of "Correlation doesn't equal Causation".

[EDIT] Sorry, looks like you guys figured this out already. I tried to raise the flag on this issue back in August too, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=759301[/EDIT]

Upvote 0
Any updates on this? I'm having the same issue hit my phone every 2-3 day. It doesn't matter what kernel I use (stock #10, netarchy 4.9.1, King's 11) or rom (stock, fresh, Myn). It just seems to appear randomly. Since I'm usually not near wifi, that means rebooting my phone. The only issue I have with this is that I only notice this when my battery starts to drain real fast, so by the time I reboot, most of my battery is already gone.

Upvote 0
alright, so I have this issue too. and I think I know why. I use pandora and have never had an issue with it draining my battery. I removed facebook a long time ago. I have had system panel since june and this problem just started occurring on me last week.

so my phone was out for a bestbuy repair - new lcd. it took a long 3 1/2 weeks to get my phone. during this time 4G finally came on in my area. so when I got my phone back I started playing with 4g. I didn't even realize what was going on. but I started monitoring with system panel.

I found this suspend process to be my issue. I thought it might have been 4g as it was the only thing I have done differently with my phone. But I was thinking I might be crazy as I saw a process called wimax something at like 0%.

anyway I started a thread on it yesterday and mentioned I started using 4G. http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/230927-battery-drain-cpu-always-use.html And this guy akazabam did a little research for me and found this thread and another one over at xda and we put 2 and 2 together and found that 4g and suspend seem to go together.

see this thread section 1 Evo Battery Tips and Explanations **Updated 12-4-10** - xda-developers

so now that I know 4g kicks on suspend I can make suspend start and stop at will.

Biofall suggests not to use a 4g toggle and after using 4g you need to reboot your phone. he also says if you do use a 4g toggle. you may need to remove it from your home screen, then switch off 4g through settings - wireless networks and then reboot your phone.

I have been using a 4g toggle from switch pro widget. I turn off 4g through the widgets and reboot my phone. suspend will still be running. I then go into settings -wireless networks - mobile networks(set options for roaming) - enable mobile data always on(i normally keep this unchecked) checking it and then unchecking it again will stop suspend from running. I tried checking and unchecking mobile data always on without a reboot and no luck suspend still runs, this only works after a reboot.

I will be removing my 4g toggle and do some experiments with 4g using settings to turn it on and off.

I am also rooted and use switch pro widget for a quick reboot toggle on my home screen to make things easier.

so we are wondering if this 4g and suspend has been everyones battery problem all along? my phone has never had a battery problem like this since june. even with leaving pandora on.

I may quit using 4g all together if this is really the issue.

so how many of you guys turn on 4g every now and then?

Reactions: esone1ll
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones