• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help switching between phones

New Rising

Android Enthusiast
I just recently bought a used Droid X off ebay and wanted to practice rooting and downloading roms on to it. I was wondering if I can switch service between my Bionic and the DX? I talked to someone at one verizon and they said i could do it from my verizon account and he activated the DX. I looked on my verizon account to switch back to my Bionic but couldn't figure it out. I went to a different verizon and they said i cant switch from a 3g phone to a 4g phone. Does anyone know if this can be done or not?

I just recently bought a used Droid X off ebay and wanted to practice rooting and downloading roms on to it. I was wondering if I can switch service between my Bionic and the DX? I talked to someone at one verizon and they said i could do it from my verizon account and he activated the DX. I looked on my verizon account to switch back to my Bionic but couldn't figure it out. I went to a different verizon and they said i cant switch from a 3g phone to a 4g phone. Does anyone know if this can be done or not?

Here's an alternative ...

I was on a Droid X when I upgraded to a Bionic in September. I transfered the access and phone number from one to the other.

I have Wi-Fi in my office and use it as my primary data access for my Bionic.

I was surprised that I had total access from my Droid X through my Wi-Fi connection after transferring my account to the Bionic.

The only thing I do not have on the Droid X is direct access to the Verizon network for voice or data.

Also ... I have grandfathered unlimited data and grandfathered Mobile Hotspot. I have accessed the Verizon network from my Droid X through the Mobile Hotspot on the Bionic after transferring the account.

... Thom

In the old days before LTE switching back and forth between phones was no problem, but you ask an interesting question, I'm not sure how easily it can be done these days going from 3G to 4G and vice versa. If you go to your Verizon account you should see the "I want to..." menu where you can chose to switch devices. As long as your current plan and data package work with both devices I'd think you should be able to, but if there are any conflicts with the plan then that's probably why you can't switch back and forth.

I will say though if you're "practicing" just because you're worried about messing around with your Bionic, it's a breeze and nothing to worry about. I went through much crazier 45 minute processes way back when I started messing around with my LG Ally. Using the tehroot v1.1 available in the root forum gets your phone rooted in about 30 seconds. Copy a ROM file to your SD card, reboot into recovery, wipe the data and caches, flash the ROM, and you're all set.

You can switch back and forth but the problem you will have is going from a 4g phone to a 3g phone. After you activate the 3g phone your sim card will be deactivated after a certain amount of time ( I think it's 24 hours but I'm not sure the exact amount of time) and you will not be able to use that sim again. When you go to activate the bionic again you would have to get a new sim. If you were to get another 4g phone you would be able to just swap the sim back and forth whenever you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom