• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Switching from CyanogenMod 7 to CyanogenMod 6

monsterduc1000

Can this be done? Because cm7 runs off of the 2.2 kernel and cm6 runs off the 2.1 kernel, right? But can you run cm6 if you have the 2.2 kernel?

I am enjoying cm7, but i have read it uses more ram for resources and I would like more ram for games.

Can this be done? Because cm7 runs off of the 2.2 kernel and cm6 runs off the 2.1 kernel, right? But can you run cm6 if you have the 2.2 kernel?

I am enjoying cm7, but i have read it uses more ram for resources and I would like more ram for games.
The latest build of CM6 for milestone runs on the 2.2 kernel, just like CM7. There is no 2.3 kernel released by Motorola, so CM7 is built on top of the 2.2. You should have no problem installing CM6 on your Milestone.

Install Androidiani if you haven't already, and drop the CM6 update in the Open Recovery/Updates folder. Make sure to do a full data wipe and cache wipe, and then apply the CM6 update. Make a backup before if you want to switch back to CM7 easier.

There are some folks that have gone back to CM6 because they think its faster for games, but the newest RC10 of CM7 fixes a lot of those memory issues. Also, the developer has stopped working on CM6 in order to focus on CM7.

But yes, to answer your question, there are people who have gone back to CM6 as a matter of personal preference.

I have been back and forthing it as well and I have decided to stick with Nadlabaks CM6 now that it is been taken over for updates by Milaq. It is very smooth and stable and cm6 just has way more free RAM for a lot of the games I use it for. For instance, on cm7, A lot of the time I got kicked back to a blank home screen from memory intensive games, or when I closed an app, the home screens would again be blank and I would have to wait for them to load. Not that this does not happen with cm6, but it happens much much less than with cm7.

I still flash/backup/the latest cm7 so as to keep up with the updates, but I always go back to the latest cm6.

Back
Top Bottom