• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
HTC has their own software keyboard, you aren't going to find that in the market. There are a number of other software keyboards available out there though.

For what it's worth I didn't like swype on my droid X... it seemed like the swiping stuff was a gimic. I switched to it on the optimus because it gives you a very good way to do selections, copy and paste which is otherwise cumbersome on the optimus. It is now my go-to keyboard... it's not perfect but so far it's the best I've found. Before you walk away from swype entirely I recommend you check out the tips and tricks videos that swype has on their web site... the advantages to swype weren't immediately obvious to me.

Upvote 0
I agree with iadubber. I thought it was a gimic at first, but by and large it works really well. About 9 times out of 10, it picks the right word, and of the other occasions, at least have the time the word you want is one of the selections.. and I am starting to learn how to get it to get the other words it occasionally misses.

It is not what I would use as my first choice with connectbot, but for the optimus, in portrait mode? It would be hard to imagine a better general purpose keyboard out there.

--
Bill

Upvote 0
Hey I am thinking of buying a budget android n zoomed in on Optimus one & galaxy 3... Can U help me out with 2 queries:
1) Optimus has Swype???
2) Is it true that the 240by400 resolution of Galaxy3 doesnt suit some android apps???

Thank You... :)

The phone was initially released without swype but the V9 update added it.

I haven't had any issues with any apps not supporting the resolution of the optimus S.

Upvote 0
So far the only thing I cant get to work on my Optimus is the game emulator Nesoid which sucks cause those are the original games. I think it has somethin to do with the smaller screen, but not sure. :thinking:

That is strange. Nesoid works fine on my LG Optimus S. I am not much of a gamer so I have only tried a couple of the Mario Bros. games, but they both work fine.

Upvote 0
How do you toggle back and forth from the swype keyboard?

thanks.

There is an app called Power Control Plus that works great for this (as well as many other things). I just discovered it today.

One of the buttons you can add to the widget is called "input method." When you tap it, it gives you the option of all the keyboards you have installed.

I generally go between Swype and Smart Keyboard Pro.

Smart Keyboard Pro works really well for those of us that are used to using T9 method for typing. It is also very accurate when you you put it on the QWERTY style keyboard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones