• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root **Sysctl Tweaks** and Minfree values

Curster

Ok I have been working with a developer of the app One Power Guard. I found it in the S3 rom... probably the best battery utility app out there.

Anyway the app changes vm values in a way that didn't let me change them to my needs in Rom Toolbox. So with a little help in writing scripts in the Rom Toolbox Scripter I can now change the Sysctl Tweaks and get them to stick.

One Power Guard certainly lowered my overnight battery drain by probably 80% or better but it slowed my phone down so I started researching the best vm values. These are the values I found works best with my phone and the way to input them into the Scripter in order to get them to stick in Rom Toolbox.

sysctl -w vm.dirty_background_ratio=5
sysctl vm.dirty_background_ratio

sysctl -w vm.dirty_ratio=20
sysctl vm.dirty_ratio

sysctl -w vm.dirty_writebacks_centisecs=500
sysctl vm.dirty_writebacks_centisecs

sysctl -w vm.drop_caches=1
sysctl vm.drop_caches

sysctl -w vm.minfree_order_shift=5
sysctl vm.minfree_order_shift

sysctl -w vm.page-cluster=3
sysctl vm.page-cluster

sysctl -w vm.oom_kill_allocating_task=1
sysctl vm.oom_kill_allocating_task

I set my Minfree Manager in Task Manager to Aggressive and of course my SD speed booster to 2048.

I haven't actually studied the reasons that these values make my phone faster in the benchmarks but I assume they free up more unused and stagnant data for active apps.

So if you are having trouble getting your Sysctl Tweak values to stick try this method you can even set them to start on boot.

And let me know if I can improve on this I'm a diehard Esteemer and won't give up on it until someone buys me a Galaxy S3 :)

You missed a few of them vm.swappines. and try dirtyratio 90. Dirty background 55. Vfs 20 . Vm.swappiness 0 . Fast for a day or 2 and bam 3rd day slow as a turtle.

You missed a few of them vm.swappines. and try dirtyratio 90. Dirty background 55. Vfs 20 . Vm.swappiness 0 . Fast for a day or 2 and bam 3rd day slow as a turtle.

Yeah I forgot the swappiness and the vfs because LG Esteem Optimizer sets those values automatically.

Sappiness is set to 0 and vfs is set to 10

Now how come the higher values for dirty ratio and background? Doesn't that take longer to flush out old data? I'm trying to get this figured out.

Here are the values that my battery utility app uses....

background 80
centisecs 1000
dirty ratio 90
wb centisecs 2000
drop 1
min free 4096
order shift4
both oom kill and panic disabled
page cluster 8
and then my app sets sappiness at 0 and vfs at 10%

I found my phone lags at these settings and the benchmarks are much lower.

Back
Top Bottom