• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help System Update Error

MarcAlaia

Lurker
Oct 26, 2014
I bought a used Droid 4 (XT894) off of CL. At the meeting to do the deal, I moved over my SIM card, turned it on and made a call to check, along with some other simple tests. Seemed OK.

Later, I figured I do a factory reset and start from scratch. I did the factory reset and it started the factory setup. Near the beginning of the setup, there was an error that I got that said that it could not connect to Motorola, so I skipped it.

Now the the phone is fully operational, I wanted to make sure that it has the latest OS. When I go into the phone, it says that I'm running:
6.16.217.XT894.Verizon.en.US

If I go to the Motorola website, it says that the current version is:
98.72.188.XT894.Verizon.en.US or
98.72.189.XT894.Verizon.en.US

However, if I go into Settings, About Phone, System Updates, it says:
A software update 98.72.18.en.us (355.5 MB) is available for download.

And if I try to proceed with the download, I get:
An unexpected error has occurred.
Please try again later.

Any ideas? I'm moderately tech capable and am willing to download a file onto a micro-USB card and even upgrade using the system menus, but I can't find out how to download the file from Motorola....

Thanks!

I bought a used Droid 4 (XT894) off of CL. At the meeting to do the deal, I moved over my SIM card, turned it on and made a call to check, along with some other simple tests. Seemed OK.

Later, I figured I do a factory reset and start from scratch. I did the factory reset and it started the factory setup. Near the beginning of the setup, there was an error that I got that said that it could not connect to Motorola, so I skipped it.

Now the the phone is fully operational, I wanted to make sure that it has the latest OS. When I go into the phone, it says that I'm running:
6.16.217.XT894.Verizon.en.US

If I go to the Motorola website, it says that the current version is:
98.72.188.XT894.Verizon.en.US or
98.72.189.XT894.Verizon.en.US

However, if I go into Settings, About Phone, System Updates, it says:
A software update 98.72.18.en.us (355.5 MB) is available for download.

And if I try to proceed with the download, I get:
An unexpected error has occurred.
Please try again later.

Any ideas? I'm moderately tech capable and am willing to download a file onto a micro-USB card and even upgrade using the system menus, but I can't find out how to download the file from Motorola....

Thanks!
I would flash the xml/firmware with rsd lite.
How to with video in my list
sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for Droid 4

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones