• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root System update

Edit (since this is up top): Guys, don't install the update unless you are 100% stock. Looks like it hits almost every part of the phone. If you are S-off then one of the gurus around here should have an installable version up soon. If you are s-on then you are probably going to have to RUU (go back to factory stock), install the update, then re-root and re-install your roms.

NoodleArm reported over on the regular forum he got about a 50mb update that put him at software version 2.95.652.5 710RD.

I am rooted/s-off with all available updates and showing 1.14.652.0 710RD, so it sounds like a pretty significant update.

For the people rooted and/or s-off I would wait till there is more info before you accept the update and install it. There is just no way to tell how it will react with a modified phone.

(Should have tried this before) I just manually told my phone to check for updates and it is showing the 55.58mb update is waiting with the same version # that NoodleArm confirmed. So it is out there waiting, just need someone to check if it is safe on stock roms that are rooted/s-off (since obviously it is not safe for custom roms).

Upvote 0
hboot 1.58...new kernel...new radio...recovery...a few misc. items...sprint installer and whatnot...hm. I think I'm gonna revert to stock and take this OTA and see what happens...I'm curious about this ConnectionsOptimizerVirgin.apk...

The Virgin S2 has the connections optimizer thing, it basically gave the phone a mind of its own making it turn on wifi whenever it wanted to.

Upvote 0
The Virgin S2 has the connections optimizer thing, it basically gave the phone a mind of its own making it turn on wifi whenever it wanted to.

So I'm going to assume its more or less like JuiceDefender. Where it will decide to turn off Wifi/3G/etc when not in use, trying to save battery?

If so...interesting. I'm more wondering why the boot and radio have been updated.

hboot 1.58 is the latest for the 3VO, and 1.57 is evo v...so can't blame me for wondering ;)

Upvote 0
So I'm going to assume its more or less like JuiceDefender. Where it will decide to turn off Wifi/3G/etc when not in use, trying to save battery?

If so...interesting. I'm more wondering why the boot and radio have been updated.

hboot 1.58 is the latest for the 3VO, and 1.57 is evo v...so can't blame me for wondering ;)

That could just be VM's trick to get you to update. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

I think what it does is periodically turn on wifi to look for a known connection to use instead of 3G. I don't know if it was just the behavior of the S2 or the connection manager, but it meant that I rarely got emails/notifications instantly like I do on the Evo, they always took about 5-10 minutes.... it was one of a few reasons I returned the S2.

Upvote 0
I think what it does is periodically turn on wifi to look for a known connection to use instead of 3G. I don't know if it was just the behavior of the S2 or the connection manager, but it meant that I rarely got emails/notifications instantly like I do on the Evo, they always took about 5-10 minutes.... it was one of a few reasons I returned the S2.

I remember my friend got the update for his GS2 on sprint and it just turns his wifi on at will and searches for a connection. Its their way to keep you off their network. I will have nothing to do with this update

Reactions: adamhos1234
Upvote 0

they want to implement it so that they could get our phones using more wifi, therefore saving them data usage. this feature could affect battery life as the system will constantly look for a wifi connection.

I think that they just want to throw in the 1.58 hboot and radio and what not to make it seem like this update has a lot of bells and whistles. I think this update is essentially to reduce our data usage in any possible way to save VM more data, thus more money.:rolleyes:

Don't be surprise if the new radio works like crap and making our phone even slower.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones