• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Epicblaze

Jan 27, 2012
U S of A
Recently picked up a new T-Mobile G4. Was stoked.
After getting it all set up and accepting that rouge T-Mobile pushed Android update
I noticed some strange behavior; whenever I turned on WiFi - I shut it off when not
in use to conserve power - I noticed that the network data would toggle on & off
by itself with no apparent syncing or any automatic updates enabled. LG instructed me to do some device resets - which I did - and nothing remedied the problem. Incidentally, I'm on metered service so I don't want nor do I need network data on or turning on without my expressed consent.

To see if your device is doing the same thing, simply keep the screen from going to sleep,
head to the quick toggles OR to the Android setup page and watch either the mobile data
quick toggle go on and off - or watch the Setup page mobile data slider move back and forth
every 15 seconds or so after enabling WiFi. I'd suggest that you try this after having WiFi off
for some decent amount of time as it seems to manifest early in the WiFi connection process.
I can also confirm that I didn't enable any of the T-Mobile Diagnostic functions contained in the slew of bloat-ware.

This might not matter to folks on big data plans,
but would be useful to know if it's statistically significant.

LG suggested sending the phone to them for a warranty "look-see" but it was brand new so
I opted instead to return it for a refund. I've since ordered another new one from a different source and will report back my findings. Other than this mysterious issue and the widely reported touch-screen sluggishness which I found really annoying, I really like the device. I'm also peeved that some T-Mobile versions only have a 2900 mAh battery - which isn't widely known. Battery life was still pretty much outstanding though ...

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones