• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] Anybody in the Central Massachusetts area or local?? Look please

Hopefully this is okay to post here. Honestly I don't feel as though publishing it in the classifieds would be beneficial or correct, but Mods may disagree...

Anyways, I'm new to Android phones/devices, well new to wanting to learn the programming/mods. I would really like to know if anyone local or somewhat local is interested in teaching? I am willing to pay generously...cash or barter any devices I may have of interest to you, or maybe auto repair/powder coating/metal fab work to learn the basics of rooting and mods. I've been reading, reading and reading some more, but I'd really benefit from seeing it in person and not YouTube. To be honest, I'm not even a computer guy let alone phones, I'm a gearhead and motor junkie, I do metal fabrication, finishing and build/fix cars. But lately the fascination of Android phones has hit me hard. This past month I've bought like $250 in books, swapped my whole family over to a new carrier just to get a better phone, spent 90% of my day researching online. I honestly just lack the balls to leap into rooting for fear of bricking my phone. Ill tear down a new Bentley without a manual or directions, but electronics intimidate me for some reason. I really think having someone who can help me fix an error or something in person, I'm a lot more confident. I even have 4 other Android phones I'm NOT using and I won't even try those (to be fair, the two newest ones are brand new sealed Kyoceras, so the support/info on their mods aren't as accessible as my Galaxy).

If anyone is interested, please PM me. I just signed up for a Java course and got a new laptop, JUST to try to be as current/relevant as possible, so hopefully I can be doing this soon. Thanks for reading!!

Hi robbie:)

I moved your thread to the S3 T-Mo ATR subforum as that will be the easiest phone to root of all the ones you listed. Someone will be checking in soon, but if you could, list your current setup.:)

Thanks guys... I actually tried to root today myself, through galaxys3root.com or the one click method. Unfortunately my new laptop is Linux, which is also new to me, and obviously doesn't have half the rooting support. I think I'm going to need to actually install Windows. I tried via Wine at that was a major failure as well. I get into the download part of my phone, attach usb, and go to open files and they won't open. The Linux based rooting method just won't open the first file I need, the Wine (Windows) option downloads to the laptop but won't open thru the Wine program. Either way I'm just getting errors. Soooo frustrating...

Is it possible anyone can remotely view, properly set up my files/downloads and possibly either root my phone for me, or watch & talk me through it... all from their/your location while I watch/help? That would just really help me, best of both worlds. I get to watch and learn, and I get the help and phone done correctly, giving me a good starting point. Is that possible like computer repair people sometimes do?

And Mike, my phone is a T-Mobile sgh-t999, NOT a lte model, I'm running 4.1.2, baseband version t999uvdmd5, and kennel version 3.0.31-1128078... Just a bone stock S3 from T-Mobile, except I did the OTA jellybean update (but now wish I hadn't done because right after I found the free unlock tutorial, that only works on 4.0 and NOT my current version, ba humbug!).

I really am trying here... I've done tons of reading and research, understand what needs to be done, but I really lack the confidence of skill to go crazy trying. I tried that one click method and failed, so now I'm even more put off. Like I said prior, I'm not that tech savvy. I missed the major computer craze. I know how to use one, but not the ins and outs, tricks, etc. I graduated 2 years before the internet was even put into my high school, lol. I didn't have it as good as people just a few years younger, who got laptops for their 10th birthday, and had 5 desktops at home. I remember being like 15 when my family got an actual "real" computer with dial up. That was a huge deal and a luxury. It was amazing back then to download a wav file, we didn't even really have videos. LMFAO.

Seems like I'm still stuck back then, because to be honest all I do is go online to search something to learn instead of going to the library. Thats about it. I JUST learned how to post on Craigslist 2 months ago, and got an eBay account 2 weeks ago. I still can't get up to speed on newer software, by the time I start really learning it, another version comes out with a whole different user interface or whatever you call it.

So it sucks, I really want to learn Android and phones, but I'm not even up to snuff on a basic computer, which I'm just learning, seriously affects my ability to move forward with any type of Android mods... Know I'm sure you guys understand why I'm asking for a "tutor". If I have to post and ask a question here, its basically going to lead to me needing someone to talk me through every aspect of a computer, then Android, then my actual phone... THEN using both together to get the results I'm after (ie: root). However I know that if I was physically shown, I can duplicate/copy most, if not all in my first attempt, THEN proceed to learn more on my own and experiment... Just like a 19yr old girl joining a sorority :D ...

This all being said, all my cards on the table, if anyone doesn't mind showing a complete moron some how-to's, I'd greatly appreciate it all... so thanks again for everyones time and concern...

Mikestony, thanks for the link... just spent the past few hours trying, and no luck. First I had to search and find a way to rest the SU password on Linux. Apparently there's a few factory passwords they issue, and I probably should've read the manual/paperwork instead of throwing it out. When I got it, I turned it on and it let me set up as a user with a password, but apparently its a different ballgame to run SU terminal commands to do things like root. Anyways, I got it done and felt like Gid among men. But then, the motochopper.zip file it asks me to download won't, it goes to a "sign up screen" and makes you verify via credit card, which I did. Then, it makes you search for the software (motochopper), which is no longer listed. Even tried clicking the link again from the page you sent, goes back to a search screen. File/software again not found.

Thank God you gave me this link though, I went back into the original galaxys3root.com procedure I was originally trying, and found at the bottom this was for the international version. Good thing it didnt work. I could've been screwed. Whats worse is, I got to that page through the linux link. Originally I found the Windows version for my t-mobile us/Canadian t999, and it said if you use linux and have a t-mobile or t999, go "here". Apparently its the wrong link... I tried searching other options and haven't found anything really good yet.

I honestly think either buying/installing Windows or using a Windows computer will eliminate 90% of my problems and insecurity. Problem is, I don't even know how to swap/install it.

Any other suggestions?

I THINK that I know what you mean, and if I'm understanding you correctly, I already tried what's called "Wine"... That is a program that runs Windows on top of Linux, and that was my first attempt. No luck, but I'm sure it's user error and lack of know how

Sorry I can't help with the Linux thing...I have never used it....or a mac.

Is there a windows computer you can borrow?
Then we can find a root method based on windows:)

Hi robbie,
Let me butt in here for a sec.:)

Lets try this step by step. You seem to be trying to get the whole picture in one glance, and that is way too much for anyone. Let's build on your PC/Laptop setup first. From there, if I need to have some other folks chime in, I will.

Hi robbie,
Let me butt in here for a sec

Sorry man, but I'm really more of a boob guy, no offense, I'm sure its nice.. lmao

No, I hear ya, and agree... this is exactly what I meant in our PMs, I felt since I knew so little, even with computers, that an extra hand in person would be more beneficial, and asking ALL my questions on the forum would be a game of ring around the rosie... there's almost too many questions and variables to get one person or even a few to put together a "how to, step by step" for me...

And I also agree with going the Windows route... can anyone post a windows link here for me, a one click method for a T-mobile t999 NON lte, on Friday I'm meeting a friend at Barnes&Noble. He has a windows laptop and is more computer friendly. Ill also be able to just pull wifi and maybe get it done, fingers crossed!? If not, I'm SERIOUSLY contemplating paying someone through an eBay posting to do a basic route for me remotely. I dunno.

Sorry man, but I'm really more of a boob guy, no offense, I'm sure its nice.. lmao

No, I hear ya, and agree... this is exactly what I meant in our PMs, I felt since I knew so little, even with computers, that an extra hand in person would be more beneficial, and asking ALL my questions on the forum would be a game of ring around the rosie... there's almost too many questions and variables to get one person or even a few to put together a "how to, step by step" for me...

And I also agree with going the Windows route... can anyone post a windows link here for me, a one click method for a T-mobile t999 NON lte, on Friday I'm meeting a friend at Barnes&Noble. He has a windows laptop and is more computer friendly. Ill also be able to just pull wifi and maybe get it done, fingers crossed!? If not, I'm SERIOUSLY contemplating paying someone through an eBay posting to do a basic route for me remotely. I dunno.

We'll get it before you need to pay someone on eBay, you will more than likely regret it. I'll meet you if I need to prevent you going that route, but I'm short on time for the next several days. Trust me, you'll get the help you need from these guys.:)

Will Windows XP Professional be current enough? I have access to that tomorrow, and quite possibly newer (like 7 or 8), but worst case is this going to work ok??

If the root method you're trying to use needs Odin, I think you can use heimdall as a substitute for it.

I also remember that it failed with me the firsr or second time until I figured out that I had to have odin open in the back ground. Coming from HTC's I didn't have any experience with odin.

Heimdall was the first thing I tried with no success, it was in the Linux root toolkit. Then Wine. Again, not only am I new to Android but I'm also new to Linux... I bought a cheaper laptop not really thinking/caring about what system it ran. As long as my family could use it for the internet or to do a school paper, thats all that mattered at the time. This was RIGHT before I got any interest in Android. Every computer I've ever had was Windows based, so I'm positive it was user error with Linux/Heimdall, even Wine. Thats why I'm just going to either just install Windows on it, and/or use my friends Windows laptop tomorrow. Also, its the last day I can return/exchange or cancel my phone with Staples and T-Mobile. Just so happens the bookstore I'm meeting my friend at is RIGHT next door to where I bought my phones. I figure I can go play dumb or try to if something goes VERY bad.

I'm obviously going to try to get/install the newest Windows, I have 2 friends offering copies, one has XP Pro and already has it in his car to meet me, the other "knows" he has a few newer edition discs but so far I'm unsure if he's actually put his hands on them yet.

And yeah Bob Cat, obviously I have no experience either with Odin, so thanks for the heads up...

Anyone free tomorrow to be "on call" if I run into trouble, like 12-2pm eastern time?? Lol

Heimdall was the first thing I tried with no success, it was in the Linux root toolkit. Then Wine. Again, not only am I new to Android but I'm also new to Linux... I bought a cheaper laptop not really thinking/caring about what system it ran. As long as my family could use it for the internet or to do a school paper, thats all that mattered at the time. This was RIGHT before I got any interest in Android. Every computer I've ever had was Windows based, so I'm positive it was user error with Linux/Heimdall, even Wine. Thats why I'm just going to either just install Windows on it, and/or use my friends Windows laptop tomorrow. Also, its the last day I can return/exchange or cancel my phone with Staples and T-Mobile. Just so happens the bookstore I'm meeting my friend at is RIGHT next door to where I bought my phones. I figure I can go play dumb or try to if something goes VERY bad.

I'm obviously going to try to get/install the newest Windows, I have 2 friends offering copies, one has XP Pro and already has it in his car to meet me, the other "knows" he has a few newer edition discs but so far I'm unsure if he's actually put his hands on them yet.

And yeah Bob Cat, obviously I have no experience either with Odin, so thanks for the heads up...

Anyone free tomorrow to be "on call" if I run into trouble, like 12-2pm eastern time?? Lol

If you go to use the windows based computer, just be sure you use the oem usb cable and use the usb2.0 port and not the usb 3.0 ports found on some computers.

Also, either remove or disable kies when plugging the phone in the computer to do rooting stuff....or for that matter, any other program that tries to connect to the phone upon plug in, disable it....you don't need anything else trying to communicate with the device when you are using ODIN or the Toolkit.

As far as tomorrow, I'll be at work...can't guarantee that I'll be by my desk as I float from desk to shop.:)

But I'll try to check in;)

Figures this couldn't be easy... installed xp, lost wifi. Trying to install that now. Plug in my phone to USB, its a 1.0 port. Let me guess, that's going to be an issue too??

Installing wifi driver as we speak, not even finished and its detecting the networks, its popping up at the bottom... as long ass the usb port won't be an issue, I'm about to try to start root

I'm trying to send the suoeruser file to my phones internal sd. How do I do it? I right click, go to send to, and don't see my phone. It gives me compressed folder, desktop, mail recipient, my documents, or vrmpoem_en (D:).... ummmm

Back
Top Bottom