• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] Anybody in the Central Massachusetts area or local?? Look please

The link posted here... nothing now... it was just one problem after the other. Got it all set up, a woman stood up and started walking and pulled the cord, the laptop smashed on the ground... I'm done, I f'ing quit!!! Honestly, she was lucky she was a she, and old... She felt terrible, clearly an accident, but COME ON! Literally trashed, screen, keyboard, casing... i walked out the store, threw it across the parkinglot, then into the trash... I am too pissy to look at it, and it was nothing but a headache/project since i bought it... And of course that was after my friend had left with his. Now I need to buy a new computer after all this??! F THAT!! I can't do it anytime soon, too many bills right now. Just got home and had my lovely first t-mobile bill, awesome! $300 for 1st and 2nd or last months bill, activation fees, taxes up the @$$. I cant catch a single break. And look Bob Cat, after all the classified crap i made you deal with, not one reply or PM about them!!

EBAY ROOTERS, HERE I COME. Now I can't even have it done remotely, gotta send it out and "trust" someone... wtf, No clue what to do here!!!

Oh man robbie:( I am sorry about the laptop...sheesh!
I'd say send your phone to me and I can try to root it, but I would feel really really bad if something bad happened and your phone bricked. :(

Perhaps just step back, relax, take a day or 2 of not thinking about rooting it, then try again after a break :)

Thanks... got some guy off eBay who claims he can do it remotely using control of my wifi Linux NETBOOK. Very weary of this, dunno what to do?? Might as well, I don't even have to prepay, I can paypal him AFTER and if I'm happy. Would still like to do it, watch it, something, just at least to learn...

ANY possible way of doing it from my actual phone without a computer??? Why couldn't I just theoretically download the superuser zip to my phone, open it and reboot in download, JUST like the one click method. In the galaxts3root.com one click instructions and video, the computer is only used to download the file from the internet, then you send it over to your phones sd, then you open it using your phone and the rest is done on your device, not computer. Why couldn't I just skip the computer step? It seems almost irrelevant, no?

I'm also kind of wanting to downgrade from Jellybean 4.1.2 to 4.1 so I can do the free unlock method. It doesn't work with the new update, its missing the OS options you need to access it. Should I do that before root or does it really matter, easy enough fix after rooting too? (Not changing carriers anytime soon either, just nice option to have)

Hmmmm, I'd be leery of that guy who wants to remotely do it. I know nothing of how that is done, but letting someone remotely control my computer...who I don't know....he might hack into it a few weeks later :dontknow:

Anyways, there may be a way to downgrade.
I would surmise finding a firmware to flash in ODIN.
What is easier about rooting on JB 4.1.1?

Its not rooting 4.1.1, its just to be able to unlock it free. Won't work on the 4.1.2 upgrade, that's all. That's why I asked if and how much easier/more difficult it would be to downgrade AFTER a root, cuz there's no unlocking rush...

As for the remote via my netbook, its absolutely bare bones. I don't even use it, neither do my kids. Last time I used it, it was in my car for tuning the ecu, air/fuel, etc on the track and dyno. Its been wiped clean since, but I've never even written a word document on it... but nonetheless, yeah, I'm weary of a guy ill never see confront or catch if he intentionally bricks or installs some kind of spyware or virus...

oh, unlocking as in, sim unlocking, or unlocking so you can go with a different carrier?
Well, that's another can of worms imo. The legalities/illegalities etc.

Well I would assume if the phone software and carrier allows direct access to it, its hard to deem illegal. Its not a "trick" or "hack", its literally a menu option in 4.1.1 . Also, my phones date of manufacture is 11/2012.

As if i don't have enough mods watching me already, (lol), you gotta call me out like that!? Jk, honestly completely forgot. If its deemed inappropriate by anyone, feel free to modify/edit as you see fit. Again, not sure how direct access is similar to getting a code generated by false pretenses, or even how it differs from rooting for that matter. I also own my phone outright, and I may be mistaken, but that also makes it legal to do since its my property, yes? No?

Unfortunately, that isn't the case. It use to be, but on January 26th, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act was updated to say that any form of SIM unlocking done without the approval of the carrier it's locked to is illegal. It's federal law, punishable by a fine of no less than $200 dollars but no more than $2500 dollars per device and up to a year in jail per device. There is legislation currently going through congress to repeal this; but until it happens it's illegal. Those who bought their device prior to the January 26th change are immune to it, but anyone who bought theirs after it are subject to it.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case. It use to be, but on January 26th, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act was updated to say that any form of SIM unlocking done without the approval of the carrier it's locked to is illegal. It's federal law, punishable by a fine of no less than $200 dollars but no more than $2500 dollars per device and up to a year in jail per device. There is legislation currently going through congress to repeal this; but until it happens it's illegal. Those who bought their device prior to the January 26th change are immune to it, but anyone who bought theirs after it are subject to it.

Lol you posted this a month after I unlocked my AT&T S3 and used it on T-Mobile. Its used, I didn't buy it new. Its off contract. The previous owner had to have bought it when it came out.

Guess I'm going to jail now, when my jail mates ask what I did I'll say "I unlocked an android phone", and they'll be like "Da heck???!!" lol. Nice talking to people here, it's been fun knowing you guys. Sure hope I don't drop the soap! :p:p:p

I think our congress, and every government in the world needs to leave the internet, and digital things alone. They have no business with monitoring us with SOPA 2.0. The internet, phone calls, anything should be free as in freedom!

(For those who don't understand sarcasm, I'm not going to jail, unless the NSA is reading this.) LMBO! :D

Maybe we can all join ya when they outlaw putting your phone on silent or vibrate, and they detect we've all done it :D

Whats up Bob Cat, I can't get a heart too? What gives? (Girl from Full House, "How rude!" )

ONE MORE rooting attempt tomorrow, using friends laptop. If it doesn't work, I will be selling shards of a t999 if anyone needs a corner here, or button there... just fyi

The source that article cited states in plain English that it can't be done by you or by a third party vendor in both the first and fifth paragraph.

Ya, I didn't see much of it, that was a drunk post... luckily I'm the happy type and not the miserable prick when I drink... all 2x a year I do... the booby bar was fun tho, from what I remember

Also, ran out of time but I'm halfway done rooting I think, technically speaking. All files are downloaded and unzipped on my friends computer, I copied to my phone's internal (all files, not just superuser, was in rush so just copied the whole folder), ill take care of that later. Meanwhile, I went into download mode, opened odin and then realized I was going to be late getting my kids off the bus, so I pulled the plug before I screwed anything else up. So theoretically, I should be another 5-10 minutes (at my noob pace) away from actual root. Watch, it'll probably backfire on me somehow, some way. Oh well. At least I'm learning a little, one way or the other.

I'M ROOTED B*TCHES!!!! Thanks goes out to Jake, he came through and I'm now using hyperdrive rom... suuuhweet!!! Only an hour in, and so far I'm blown away yet dumbfounded at the same time! Haha

I'M ROOTED B*TCHES!!!! Thanks goes out to Jake, he came through and I'm now using hyperdrive rom... suuuhweet!!! Only an hour in, and so far I'm blown away yet dumbfounded at the same time! Haha

AWESOME robbie!
Who is Jake? Jhawk? :confused:
Glad to see you got it going!!!!!!
Enjoy:D

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have k? ;)

Back
Top Bottom