• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile/Sprint merger: what it means to its customers

I find it very difficult to believe that any aspect of Verizon customer support could be any less than it already is.
I have zero experience with Verizon [20+ years AT&T, now 1 year Consumer Cellular], but I've heard awful things about its customer service. So your comment isn't surprising.

In stark contrast to that is Consumer Cellular. When they say 'customer service' they really mean it! Right from the get-go last year, they've been super friendly, helpful, courteous--and 100% US-based. :D I can't say enough about how glad I am I switched.

Yes.
And before AT&T bought them, I was on a local company called Centennial, which was based out of Fort Wayne, and used analog and TDMA.

Back then, there was this horrible thing called 'roaming', and Centennial only covered parts of four states.

Luckily, I just so happen to live in the most concentrated service area.

I bought an analog phone from RadioShack (where I was working at the time) and got a six month contract from Centennial.

RadioShack was forcing everyone to carry phones at work, as this was when they wanted to sell the hepl out of cellphones. This was going to bite them where they stink, and I told them so, but why listen to me?

Well, RadioShack dropped Centennial, because they were not a national company. Ok, good excuse, but we live here- in a town of 25,000 people. Back then, there were very few towers of any kind, and RadioShack was selling Verizon (ask me how I know about their 'customer service), Sprint, and TracPhone.

This was back in 2001, and believe it or not, some of the areas that had no good service back then still do not.

Anyway, I buy this old phone from the old stock in the back room and drive to the next city west and have Centennial hook me up.

I completed that 6 month contract and then just paid every month afterwards, never renewing the contract or signing another.
That way, if I chose to, I could just walk away and I would not be financially responsible for any breech of contract.

After AT&T bought Centennial, by the agreements made they had to continue to honor all Centennial contracts forever if need be.
I was even grandfathered into that deal.
So i stayed with it for years, until AT&T actually offered a much better deal- this time without a contract.

Anyway, the point is that I alway had unmatched service from Centennial.
An example is when I forgot to pay my bill.
It was Sunday at 3AM when I remembered.

I crossed my fingers and dialed.
Believe it or not, I got an answer, and she said "No problem. There will be a $25 late fee."
This was not ok.
My bill was only $25.
This fee would double that.

I explained to her that I just could not do it, and told her the circumstances surrounding why, and why I was late with the bill, and then brought up how long I had been a customer, and that I was no longer under contract and was going to have to just walk away.

She relinquished, and took the extra charge off my bill.

I can't do that with AT&T, hahaha.

But both companies did hook me up with free devices whenever the technology changed and my current device would no longer work.

I have never heard of Verizon doing anything of the kind for its customers.

That's incorrect, there are 4 nationwide carriers with their own towers:
AT&T
Verizon
Sprint
T-Mobile

With the merger Sprint and T-Mobile will combine, and then Dish Network plans on building their own new nationwide cell network starting with acquiring Boost Mobile customers.

There are also regional carriers with their own towers - US Cellular and C-Spire are two.

As for pricing... who knows, but I hope they stay low. :)

Oh, and at least around here, Boost Mobile is on CDMA.

I know that this is true because my ol'lady has Boost Mobile, and when her phone died I bought us both the very same phone and I set hers up.

So I have two phones on two different services, Sprint, which is using Verizon towers on CDMA, and AT&T, which is using their own GSM towers.

My ol'lady is using Boost Mobile, which is also on Verizon towers, and using CDMA.

So, I am not saying that it is impossible, because my Sprint phone does have GSM capability as well as CDMA, But my Sprint phone is not using GSM, nor is my ol'lady's.

Perhaps it is due to my rather rural location.

Back
Top Bottom