• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Take me Home" Button for GPS

monicakm

Android Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2012
I don't have the need to depend on my phone for directions. If my in-car navigation system doesn't have the address, I can download it to the car from Google Maps. But, I have a friend that is struggling with her S4 and the GPS. She gets a message to enable wifi for more accurate directions. When she tries, her phone screen goes black. When she hits the go back button, she gets a map but no voice directions. I suggested perhaps the GPS feature has a "home" button like my car does. No matter where she is, she can just tap "Home" and get instant directions to her house. Does that exist on this phone?
Thanks,
Monica

It really depends on which Navigation app she's using. If using the stock google maps app., she can create a home icon shortcut on her home screen. From the stock home screen, long press on an empty spot. From the "Home Screen" popup box select> apps and widgets> widgets> directions & navigation (press, hold and drag to home screen). Fill out the address, check turn by turn, create shortcut name, and pick shortcut icon. Make sure that she enables the GPS before pressing the icon shortcut and have clear view of the sky.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones