• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Taking Linux plunge :)

Altaone

Hello my friends,

I am tired of fighting with windows updates or something breaking my ADB abilities, I started just hitting it with bigger hammer, system image when working and restoring that complete image when broken and it would last awhile. However this last time I did this method I was able to use ADB in recovery for a couple days.(I wish google and microsoft would quit fighting and just play nicely together)

So I have downloaded Xubuntu and have been kicking the tires on that for a bit.

Anyone want to help an old guy learn new tricks? I havent attempted getting the android sdk's / adb fastboot going just been looking around at it. but I am installing it after I type this post (had it on bootable media)

I know this is a bit off of the android and HTC one-s thread but is all about the ability to work with my android devices.

So if you were starting with a fresh linux install what do you setup, how to get the android enviroment working - any comment at all would be appreciated.

Hello my friends,

I am tired of fighting with windows updates or something breaking my ADB abilities, I started just hitting it with bigger hammer, system image when working and restoring that complete image when broken and it would last awhile. However this last time I did this method I was able to use ADB in recovery for a couple days.(I wish google and microsoft would quit fighting and just play nicely together)

So I have downloaded Xubuntu and have been kicking the tires on that for a bit.

Anyone want to help an old guy learn new tricks? I havent attempted getting the android sdk's / adb fastboot going just been looking around at it. but I am installing it after I type this post (had it on bootable media)

I know this is a bit off of the android and HTC one-s thread but is all about the ability to work with my android devices.

So if you were starting with a fresh linux install what do you setup, how to get the android enviroment working - any comment at all would be appreciated.

do you have a permanent install? if you do,i used this guide to get adb and fastboot installed:
http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...install-android-sdk-ubuntu-12-04-12-10-a.html

if you want adb and fastboot in your path(so you can set up multiple phone folders if youre crazy like me ;)) then make sure you follow the link at the end:
pts.blog: How to fix the adb no permissions error on Ubuntu Lucid

if you do not have a permanent install,and/or just dont really care about having adb/fastboot in your path,you can simply use our websites mini-sdk:
http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-2013-05-21-a.html#post5389081

im by no means an expert,but holler if you have questions :)

i installed it on an old laptop,but i think i will do a dual boot on my PC as well,as i cannot get the laptop to update past 12.04 :mad:

Back
Top Bottom