• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root talk.apk

jeffzz421

Hey again all,

I have been diong some reading regarding this talk.apk and whether or not its safe to remove. People are saying that its necessary for the market to work, and I found out that this is true with browser.apk, but after removing talk.apk (google talk) I have had absolutely no issues with the market not working or anything else. I read somewhere that talk.apk is no longer necessary with the new market. I just am curious on whether or not this apk is actually needed or not, and we can add it to the bloatware list possibly. Anyone else remove talk.apk and have either a good or bad result?

You may be right. I put it on the not safe to remove list because I read in other forums that it was linked to the market, but that may only be for other phones or older android versions. I will remove it from my phone and see what happens.

Cool, thanks and ignore the part of my post on your other thread saying no one responded to this one (just figured cuz it was getting bumped down).

*The knowledge on this forum is amazing.

I deleted it from mine and nothing has happened so far....I've been trying to delete latitude but can't find a way to do so....anyone knows how?

There are conflicting reports on this. Better safe than sorry.

go read this:

Safe Apps to Remove - SDX-Developers Wiki

Talk.apk - Google Talk App: Has caused a few to not be able to download from the market on the new 2.1 if removed.

Yeah, they said 2.1 and we use 2.2. Still, I've seen too many people have problems and it can't all be browser.apk related. ;)

also this:

I delete gtalkservices.apk, and now I can't download by Android Market, how can I fix it? - Android Market Help

Is is really worth taking a chance?

Hey again all,

I have been diong some reading regarding this talk.apk and whether or not its safe to remove. People are saying that its necessary for the market to work, and I found out that this is true with browser.apk, but after removing talk.apk (google talk) I have had absolutely no issues with the market not working or anything else. I read somewhere that talk.apk is no longer necessary with the new market. I just am curious on whether or not this apk is actually needed or not, and we can add it to the bloatware list possibly. Anyone else remove talk.apk and have either a good or bad result?
Ive done it on Accident over a year ago with no issues what so ever minus the fact I can not use google talk except to view whats in the notification box should someone send me something on that Im client!

Back
Top Bottom