• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [TempRoot] VISIONary (One-Click)

ronaldramsayii

Android Enthusiast
While we all work on a full root solution for the G2, temproot is very useful, but a bit of a faff. Enter VISIONary.

VISIONary (so named since we're playing with the HTC Vision here right? ) is an application you install on your device which gives you an icon in your launcher.

• Click the icon (or have it run on boot!)
  • Vuala....Rooted!!!

Handy eh?

There is another little nicety in there too, in that when the root is finished, VISIONary launches /data/local/visionary.sh (if it exists), so if you have any stuff you want to happen every time you root, put it in there!

The application is now ONLY available from the Android Market. Note that the new release allows you to toggle whether on not the application runs on startup!

USB DEBUGGING MUST BE ENABLED FOR VISIONARY TO WORK!

Enjoy!!!

VISIONary.png

Thanks to paulobrien over at XDA-Devs

Awesome! I intend to get this once I get my G2.

It's nice that the new version allows you to set if it runs automatically on start-up. We haven't got a permanent root yet for the G2 but this is darn near permanent if it starts up automatically each time! :)

Awesome! I intend to get this once I get my G2.

It's nice that the new version allows you to set if it runs automatically on start-up. We haven't got a permanent root yet for the G2 but this is darn near permanent if it starts up automatically each time! :)

Yep I agree. Permanent root is coming real soon though. Progress has been made, just a few roadblocks. I think there's more drive to get this permanently rooted than it was the EVO and Incredible....I mean come on, it's the G2.

Once it is though....expect A LOT of everything to be released lol

Okay I'm an Android noob.....love the G2. Love the customization. Everything works great. What's the benefit of rooting this thing?

Okay I'm an Android noob.....love the G2. Love the customization. Everything works great. What's the benefit of rooting this thing?

Rooting gives you the access to everything on your phone. You can edit the system files by adding or deleting apps and stuff you may not want on your phone at all. You can edit the ringtones built into the phone, change boot animation and so on.

Two main things you can do with root access is overclock your G2 with a custom kernel and flash a custom ROM. I've done this plenty of time with my Droid on VZW, but since I left them I'm ready to do it on my G2.

Rooting gives you the ability to customize your phone any which way, and truly make it yours. Any Android phone I get now, it HAS to be rooted. Since the G2 is getting permanent root soon, I'm perfectly fine with this phone lol.

Back
Top Bottom