• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering? Need to Root?

JAJameson2010

Android Enthusiast
I'm a little confused about the T-Mobile plan. I have the Note 2 with the unlimited data and the GS4 with the 500GB of data. We really only tether on the weekends maybe 8 times a year total for both phones. Is this capability included in the regular data plan/stock rom? Do I need an extra tethering plan? Or do I have to root these phones? I usually root the phones but the tethering is the only reason I root for... Feeling lazy and considering not even messing with rooting them this time around.

I'm a little confused about the T-Mobile plan. I have the Note 2 with the unlimited data and the GS4 with the 500GB of data. We really only tether on the weekends maybe 8 times a year total for both phones. Is this capability included in the regular data plan/stock rom? Do I need an extra tethering plan? Or do I have to root these phones? I usually root the phones but the tethering is the only reason I root for... Feeling lazy and considering not even messing with rooting them this time around.

I think you meant 500MB because 500GB would practically be unlimited for most people.

But as far as tethering goes, T-Mobile is better than just about any other carrier at detecting unauthorized tethering. If your two lines are post paid lines, then tethering is included but the unlimited line only has 500MB of tethering included. All limited data lines will allow you to tether as much as the limited data amount that you want. If they're prepaid lines, then you'll have to add a tethering package.

Ops! Yes 500 MB LOL Although I'm sure I could be up to the challenge of using 500GB. ;) So far I've only capped out at 18GB a month.

I'll have to call T-mobile and double check with them. Good to know they actually track the tether stuff ;) I don't think I have a prepaid plan, but it is a no contract thing. The plan we have is NAC Value Family UNL T&T.

Thank you so much for the quick help!

To answer the original question,
The carrier usually decides whether the phone will have it's built in wifi tethering enabled or not.
*Usually - refers to the fact that you can buy a non carrier specific phone which almost certainly will allow tethering without root.

I have only had the HTC Amaze 4G from t-mobile, it allowed wifi tethering without root.

Once the device leaves the factory the wifi tether or no wifi tether setting is outside of carrier control, however like jhawwkkw eluded to, without a tethering plan you run the risk of account termination while tethering.

I'm new to the forum and my question is very similar... I have spent a couple hours searching the forums and somehow I haven't found or didn't realize I had found my answer...

Model # SCH-I605
Android Version: 4.4.2

Question: I have a stock OTA Updated Galaxy Note 2 with Verizon and I also have the unlimited data plan. I don't plan to use the tether option much, but I do want the option to tether without paying extra. I have been relatively happy with the phone stock and I dabbled with using foxfi for a little bit but found the screen lock that was required to be a pain... Again, I don't plan to use the tether much, but I want to have the option without fear of big red charging me more.

Can a simple Root offer me the freedom I want to tether? I have read the before you root post, and multiple others that have made me realize that anything I do to my phone I take responsibility for. I realize that a backup should be made before any changes and after a fresh start to have a recovery for both events. Furthermore, I would not hold anyone accountable for their honest opinion and advice should they offer it to me.

All I want to do is easily tether and keep from disrupting other functions.

Thank You

Can't speak to using a VZW device on TMo, but I tether to my laptop without issue. No need for Foxfi. I have a stock LG V10. I believe you get a few gigs for tethering included in the data plan. I've never seen an extra charge.

Back
Top Bottom