• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering via 3G/4G..

Epic 4G with firmware 2.3.6 Gingerbread FC09. i simply plugged a usb cable to phone, it asked if i wanted to charge etc and I chose tethering. My laptop updated itself, Win7, and it is working. Is there anything I need to know once I use 3G/4G? I am currently using the phone as WiFi only as the phone doesnt work in my home. So, it is not on my Sprint bill anymore. But, when I move it will go back on the spring unlimited plan, and will have 3/4G. Will tethering work as it is right now?
The phone is getting its data from my rooms wifi, then the usb cable is tethered to my laptop.

You can't tether without service. It wouldn't make sense to tether your phone while it's connected to WiFi unless your laptop doesn't have a built in wireless card and you're using the phone to act as one via usb.

I guess I need to be clear. When I put the phone back in service with Sprint, will I be able to tether a laptop with my phone utlizing 3/4G. The laptop will be out of wifi due to being on the road, out in town etc where my home Wifi wont be available.

Yes, if you pay for the tethering add-on or root your device and use a third party tethering application.

Yes, if you pay for the tethering add-on or root your device and use a third party tethering application.
So the little test i just did doesnt say whether or not it will work when I go back on the network? I guess I need to go to sprint and ask about tethering etc. just dont want to get it working, then have a huge bill. Sprint is really good at surprises..

Back
Top Bottom