• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text editor without google docs

Can I change the settings to stop google docs taking over when I edit a .txt file?

Is there a simple text editor available?
I'm confused! How are you editing the text file if you don't have a text editor? :thinking:

Anyway, depending on how you're accessing a text file you may have options for which app to use. For example, most of the file managers I use have their own built-in text editors, but I'm free to choose something else when I open a text file.

And, yes, there are many text editors available. Have you looked through the Play Store? Search for text editors, then read the descriptions to find some that meet your needs. Try them and see which you like best.

If you tell us how you're accessing/attempting to edit text files, that would be helpful.

When I click a .txt file to edit, I see it says Google docs on My Drive.
Is that what you wanted to know?

I haven't made any conscious effort to sign up to My Drive, so I don't know how it happened.

I don't want google to keep my files, hence asking about another file editor and how to stop my phone using google docs.

Hey Mike

Are you attempting on an Android device or a windows based computer? Apple product? if you can tell me the device perhaps I can help?

Try going to your Settings >> Apps menu, find and open the Docs app listing, and there should be a menu referring to 'Defaults'. Open that and use Clear defaults. This should clear the Docs app from being the default app to open txt file types. The next time you try opening a txt file, you should be a prompt to choose what app you do prefer.

As for a text editor app, if you want one that doesn't have some kind of corporate development behind it take a look at installing this 'Simple Text Editor' from Maxistar:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxistar.textpad
It's an Open Source project, free, with no ads, but note that this is, by design, a no-frills text editor. No extras with minimal functionality, clean and simple. You can follow its development on its Github page too:
https://github.com/maxistar/TextPad
But if you do want something with more features, there's no shortage of options in the Play Store.

Thanks for your help.
I found another editor and installed ot after removing Docs from the apps.

I did try the link you gave to Maxistar, but it continually kept playing a youtube video about the app only.

Why would anyone want to have to upload a text file to Google just to edit it? Why would you want them to have a copy of everything you write? If you don't have positive answers to those questions (i.e. reasons why you would actively want these things) then the original question seems entirely reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom