• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help The file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer

GodLovesYou

Android Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2016
So I have made some search about a simple problem that is quite annoying but it has to be a solution. For those who might know about this windows security feature, when you download some file from internet or save from outlook an attached file if you right click > properties - you can check that you have a message "the file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" and a "Unlock" button displays too.

While I was searching about this, I've found a little program that you run through cmd and you are able to delete that message from the file or folder that you might want.

But want I am really digging through is a method which allows me to disable this option and every time I download a file it won't happen again.

If you are able to help me I would appreciate it.

gpedit.msc

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Attachment Manager

Enable: Do not preserve zone information in file attachments

Yes. I've found that method and it might work but there are some windows users who might have Windows 10 Home for example instead of Windows Pro. That feature is only able on Windows Pro.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Is this something that's only happens with Windows 10, because I've not heard of it until now. And I used XP and Win 7 quite a lot previously.

You could upgrade to Pro if you got a $100 bucks or whatever it is. :p ...expensive way of solving the problem though. At least MS doesn't have "Home Basic" and "Starter" Windows these days. :spitoutdroid:

Someone else may come along and have another suggestion of course. :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Technet article I found didn't state it was for Professional only. I normally use a Mac.
gpedit.msc is definitely Pro and up. Some things that would be done through Group Policy on Pro and up could be accomplished through editing the registry though I'm not sure about this specific case

EDIT: @GodLovesYou I found this. If you're still wanting to do this, you'll want to open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments then create a new DWORD value called SaveZoneInformation and set its value to 2. Then reboot

Last edited:
Upvote 0
gpedit.msc is definitely Pro and up. Some things that would be done through Group Policy on Pro and up could be accomplished through editing the registry though I'm not sure about this specific case

EDIT: @GodLovesYou I found this. If you're still wanting to do this, you'll want to open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments then create a new DWORD value called SaveZoneInformation and set its value to 2. Then reboot
I don't have that sub-folder(Attachments). should I create it too?

Upvote 0
yes. Right click Policies and select New > Key and name that new key Attachments

Nothing solved this problem. This is too strange because we've compared the users PC(where the problem occurs) with the administrator's PC and there is no keys and change the options from Trust Center. So I cant understand what the problem is...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones