• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

the new software update killed battery life

The update changes some user settings and you may want to check these to see if that is the cause. Two things to check that I noticed had changed are:

1. The 4G radio was defaulted on with the 3G radio. I had kept mine at only 3G until I needed the boost. So check this:

Under Settings --> Wireless & networks --> Mobile networks: There is a setting for "Network mode" with options under a pull-down of "LTE/CDMA" and "CDMA only". Check "CDMA" only if your not in need of 4G as this will save a huge amount of battery juice.

2. Under "Accounts & sync" the setting for "Stocks" had been re-enabled. This little annoying bloatware will drain battery, but not nearly as much as the 4G radio being on. Check other syncs while your at it to make sure you have the settings you want.

3. If you got the latest update of Google Maps after your MR2, this may also be a cause as many have reported issues with the last two builds. "Uninstalling Updates" on Google Maps may also be an option.

Upvote 0
My battery life has to be at least as good as before, possibly better. I have the official extended battery. Yesterday my phone was unplugged for a total of 12 hours, I listened to Pandora for about 8 hours, did 10-15 minutes of web browsing, and watched Netflix for about 25 minutes. By the time I got home from work I was at 50%. That's about what I've been getting before with listening to Pandora all day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones