• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Nexus Collection

2prevail

Android Enthusiast
With all of the rumors going around about the possible ending of the Nexus program next year I am thinking of starting a nexus collection. From the Dream (though not officially a nexus) to the Nexus 5. It'll be sad to see my 4 on display on a shelf in my room but to have all of the greatest in Android evolution lined up for a final stand would be great. Damn Google Play Editions -.-

There is nobody Stupid Enough at Google to end the Nexus line.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl
Lol... Stupid? The Nexus line never has been a money maker for Google, nor was it ever intended to be. It was only intended to last for a while as a way to challenge other manufacturers to push the limits of android by setting the standards very high on a pure stock device, now we have lots of GPe devices that can fill in the Nexus gap.

Although I don't know how the sale of Motorola to Lenovo will effect it, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nexus line fade away in the future, although next year maybe a little sooner than expected.

I am sure the OP is referring to stories like this one that have been floating around lately: Why Google Might Just Kill the Nexus Dead and it indeed makes sense and is logical.

Lol... Stupid? The Nexus line never has been a money maker for Google, nor was it ever intended to be. It was only intended to last for a while as a way to challenge other manufacturers to push the limits of android by setting the standards very high on a pure stock device, now we have lots of GPe devices that can fill in the Nexus gap.

Although I don't know how the sale of Motorola to Lenovo will effect it, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nexus line fade away in the future, although next year maybe a little sooner than expected.

I am sure the OP is referring to stories like this one that have been floating around lately: Why Google Might Just Kill the Nexus Dead and it indeed makes sense and is logical.

Nexus devices were also key for android development at each of their own times. Custom Roms, and even advances to the OS itself could be added and built upon more easily on vanilla android. You were right about Nexus not really being a money maker for Google though, but you gotta remember that prior to the Nexus 4, the unlocked variants of the devices were $500+ (Galaxy Nexus). The relaunch of the brand in the form of affordable tablets and phones with the best specs on the market was an eye opener. Combined with the millions in advertising done last year alone to hype up the line, Nexus has definitely become somewhat of a more common household name. Nexus will phase out one day but not soon, I honestly think rumors like this are popping up because Google and Nexus enthusiasts alike realize that the names of the upcoming devices may be troublesome (a Nexus 7 phone and a Nexus 7 tablet?). In the end though only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom