• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The reasons why I HATEEE my S5!!!!

Morketh

Apr 14, 2014
ITEMS IN RED HAVE BEEN FIXED THROUGH ROOTING MY PHONE, THE REST ARE STILL A PROBLEM

I have had my Samsung GS5 since day 1 and I came from an Iphone 4 which I despise but I actually feel that the things I used it for, the Iphone 4 does better which is shameful for Samsung. Let me know if you have any fixes for the below problems.

1. The following apps do not send notifications unless I have opened them and closed them at least once: GroupME, Tinder, Microsoft Lync, Facebook Messenger
Explanation of #1: I have just turned my phone off and then back on. I unlock it and have not opened any apps. If someone messages me on any of the above apps, I will NOTTTT get a notification. I have to open each of those apps and then close them and let them run in the background then if someone messages me, only then will I receive a notification.

2. The music player cannot be accessed from the lock screen UNLESS I have pressed play on my music before I locked the phone so it has to be running in the background before i can press play or switch songs from the lock screen. With Iphone4 you can access your music from lock screen at any time.

3. When I shake my phone, something rattles. I have 2 other friends with this SAME problems who has S5.

4. Notifications notifications NOTIFICATIONS!!! They are TERRRIBBLLEEEEEE with android/S5 versus Iphone!! I had to download this Slidelock app, which is decent, but not good enough. When I get emails and then I make the notification go away, it continues to count the emails up so say I get 5 emails, then i close those notifications, the next email will be 6 emails rather than just 1 and I will get up to like 30 something emails when really it is just 1 new email not 30.. that is so ********. That is the Slidelock app doing that, but wish they would fix it, it's annoying. Notifications on Iphone are PERFECT with no apps needed!

5. Lock screen access. with my shitty iphone 4 I can access the calculator, flashlight, camera, and music from the lock screen without any problems. S5 requires me to open the music player and play something previous to me locking the phone to show on the lock screen so I consider that to be a terrible design flaw. I cannot access flashlight or calculator from lock screen, only the camera is available on S5 lock screen.

6. I hate having to press OK to unlock the lock screen after putting in my PIN. With the iphone you can just put in ur 4digit PIN and it unlocks.

7. Calling someone: I hate having to press phone, then press the last person i called, then press the call button, so i have to press 3 times to call someone rather than just twice like the iphone did.

8. App Delay: When I open anything on my phone there is a .5 second delay or so before it actually opens. (no delay on shitty iphone 4). I heard this was some android OS flaw for S5.

You should look into rooting your phone and flashing a custom ROM... you would be able to fix most of those issues running custom ROMs that others have set up that have the same likenesses as you... Once rooted there are lots and lots of tweaks that you can do to your phone to make it more of the way that you would like

Upvote 0
You can look at "xposed framework" and that would have lots of little mods that you can pick n choose... another similar one would be "wanam" ( I know I'm spelling these wrong I'll have to look it up and change it later)... and there are other rooted apps...

But the easiest way would be to look through the individual custom ROMs and see which one suits you best... for me I like MOAR, others like CyanogenMod (CM), there are a handful of them... try a couple see what you like...

I would suggest first thing after rooting is getting a custom recovery, I like philz, then making a nandroid backup of your entire phone.

Upvote 0
You can look at "xposed framework" and that would have lots of little mods that you can pick n choose... another similar one would be "wanam" ( I know I'm spelling these wrong I'll have to look it up and change it later)... and there are other rooted apps...

But the easiest way would be to look through the individual custom ROMs and see which one suits you best... for me I like MOAR, others like CyanogenMod (CM), there are a handful of them... try a couple see what you like...

I would suggest first thing after rooting is getting a custom recovery, I like philz, then making a nandroid backup of your entire phone.

Yea I got it rooted now and I just got Wanam, it has a "Enable quick PIN Unlock" option which I believe will eliminate that OK button after I type my PIN in. HOWEVER, it says "Use with caution! Risk of temporary device lockout"
I am a little scared to use it :(

I found Philz but not sure how to install it since i have already rooted, most of the how-tos install philz THEN root the phone. It gives a different menu if you root and then do Powerbutton+home+volume up

This is what my screen looks like when I do power+volume up+home now

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/UvD6ZCENlJA/maxresdefault.jpg

Upvote 0
Yea I got it rooted now and I just got Wanam, it has a "Enable quick PIN Unlock" option which I believe will eliminate that OK button after I type my PIN in. HOWEVER, it says "Use with caution! Risk of temporary device lockout"

I found Philz but not sure how to install it since i have already rooted, most of the how-tos install philz THEN root the phone. It gives a different menu if you root and then do Powerbutton+home+volume up

First off installing custom recovery will trip the Knox flag...

Just follow all the steps that it says just leave out the root part. The way they are gaining root is by first installing a recovery, so to only getting recovery all the same steps will apply except for the last one or two steps for root...

And yes, making a backup recovery first would be the smarter thing to do before you mess with the wanam mods just in case something doesn't go right you want a way to get back to a good working phone :)

Reactions: Sepero
Upvote 0
First off installing custom recovery will trip the Knox flag...

Just follow all the steps that it says just leave out the root part. The way they are gaining root is by first installing a recovery, so to only getting recovery all the same steps will apply except for the last one or two steps for root...

And yes, making a backup recovery first would be the smarter thing to do before you mess with the wanam mods just in case something doesn't go right you want a way to get back to a good working phone :)

Yea but the first step is to do Power+Home+volume up and my screen doesnt go to THIS anymore, instead it goes to THIS and ODIN is not recognizing that and I dont know which option to choose from there, these are my options and I have chose them all with 0 success of ODIN recognizing that my phone is in Download mode

reboot system now
apply update from ADB
apply update from external storage
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

If I can't get to download mode then I can't install Philz recovery

Upvote 0
Easiest way is it to do it is to use Odin. so it's going to be power+home +volumeDown to get into download mode. then you're going to flash the Philz recovery.TAR by putting it in the PDA in odin. then connect your phone. Then hit start. Then you can reboot into recovery by using Power+home+volumeUp. and you should be able to notice the difference...

These directions are from the top of my head so find and follow directions that are extremely close to what I just said

Reactions: Morketh
Upvote 0
Easiest way is it to do it is to use Odin. so it's going to be power+home +volumeDown to get into download mode. then you're going to flash the Philz recovery.TAR by putting it in the PDA in odin. then connect your phone. Then hit start. Then you can reboot into recovery by using Power+home+volumeUp. and you should be able to notice the difference...

These directions are from the top of my head so find and follow directions that are extremely close to what I just said

That's it dude!!! Power + Home + volume down!!!

lol volume up takes me to that screen i was showing you volume down puts me in download mode!! Thanks a million!!!

Upvote 0

what phone is that on the screenshoot because that is not and S5

or are u using that just to show us what happen to yours

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones