• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

THEORY: USA Moto X Pure contain the hardware for dual SIM capability?

1080p

Android Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2009
I noticed on my Moto X Pure (USA) that the SIM tray looks like it would support 2 SIMS + Micro SD on my SIM tray, but one of the SIM holding slots is covered with plastic... Is Motorola artificially limiting dual SIM in the US? I wonder if the internals in the phone itself has the hardware for supporting 2 SIMs and it would be possible to modify this SIM tray to hold 2 SIMs or import a SIM tray from a country with dual SIM models? If the ROM on the US version wouldn't support it, I am sure a custom ROM could be made to support it (if my theory is correct).

2yoxuhh.jpg

I believe your theory has been proved correct. From the User Guide page 4.

Put in the cards & power on Put in the nano SIM and optional microSD cards. Caution: Make sure you use the correct size SIM cards, don’t cut the SIM card, and don’t use adapters with your SIM cards. Note: In some countries, you can use a second SIM card. Tip: To make the screen sleep or wake up, press the Power button. To turn your phone on or off, press and hold it.

Reactions: Shrews824
Upvote 0
I noticed on my Moto X Pure (USA) that the SIM tray looks like it would support 2 SIMS + Micro SD on my SIM tray, but one of the SIM holding slots is covered with plastic... Is Motorola artificially limiting dual SIM in the US? I wonder if the internals in the phone itself has the hardware for supporting 2 SIMs and it would be possible to modify this SIM tray to hold 2 SIMs or import a SIM tray from a country with dual SIM models? If the ROM on the US version wouldn't support it, I am sure a custom ROM could be made to support it (if my theory is correct).

2yoxuhh.jpg
Could you please let know if you succeeded in making the Moto X Pure work with dual sim for many people waiting out there on this particular test ?.
Thanks

Upvote 0

2yoxuhh.jpg
According to the YouTube teardown video the hardware inside the phone is lacking the reader for the second sim card so a new tray or prying out the plastic placeholder will not work without soldering on a reader which the phone has a contact for. Even then it is uncertain it the software will recognize the second sim.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones