• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thether on 2.2 without rooting.

I agree. I have used PDANET on my MacBook Pro tethered via USB during the primary and general elections. About 18 hours each time. It worked flawlessly both times. The instructions are straight forward on PDANET's web site.

Al

I third the above. Follow the instructions on the June Fabrics website and make sure that the PDANet software client is installed on your Macbook in order to connect. I have it on my Macbook Air.
I upgraded to the premium level because I needed to log on to https websites every so often but the premium version is not needed for general websurfing.

Upvote 0
I've got a question about this.
Whenever I use the wifi hotspot that's native with my phone, the connection is good and reliable. But when I use the rooted version of it, connection is slow, patchy and just plain crap.
But even when I connect with a USB cable using pdaNet, I get the same crappy & unreliable connection.
So my question is, is this normal?

Upvote 0
I've got a question about this.
Whenever I use the wifi hotspot that's native with my phone, the connection is good and reliable. But when I use the rooted version of it, connection is slow, patchy and just plain crap.
But even when I connect with a USB cable using pdaNet, I get the same crappy & unreliable connection.
So my question is, is this normal?

Never been rooted nor used hotspot at all.

Possible a phone issue?

Might try the *228 option 2 as that does seem to clear up many strange problems.

PDANet has been flawless every time I have used it on my MBP.

Al

Reactions: Kamau
Upvote 0
Well crap.

Gingerbread killed this workaround. Not that that's a surprise, but still....

Anyone figure out any other ways yet, short of rooting?

pdanet v3 should work. Haven't tried because I'm sticking to Froyo.

BTW the carriers have several ways they can detect tethering. They can watch volume of usage, detect tethering apps in GB and inspect the UAstring of http get requests. Tmobile uses the latter which is a poor way of doing it since some android apps use desktop UAstrings to function properly. The other dangerous app IMO is the My verizon app. It could be reprogrammed in an update to spy on the phone which means Android version wouldn't matter. They could insert malware on our phones.

Upvote 0
pdanet v3 should work. Haven't tried because I'm sticking to Froyo.

BTW the carriers have several ways they can detect tethering. They can watch volume of usage, detect tethering apps in GB and inspect the UAstring of http get requests. Tmobile uses the latter which is a poor way of doing it since some android apps use desktop UAstrings to function properly. The other dangerous app IMO is the My verizon app. It could be reprogrammed in an update to spy on the phone which means Android version wouldn't matter. They could insert malware on our phones.

I change the UAString on my phone to "desktop" so I can get full sites on my phone rather than the mobile versions, I wonder how this looks to them.

snap20110602_153652.png
snap20110602_153757.png

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones