• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Things I wish I knew

zardoz

. . .Being a bullet list of things I've figured out in the almost 24 hours I've been using this device which were not immediately apparent. Some, particularly the second bullet, were probably known to everyone but me:

* If you're used to the Galaxy Gear 1 or 2, forget what you knew.

* It doesn't have a speaker. Yes, you can initiate and accept calls from the watch, but you're just using it as a remote control for your phone. That is, if you accept an incoming or start a call you need to dig your phone out to do the actual talking. I really liked this feature on the Tizen Gear and miss it here.

* It functions ninety percent of the time as just a watch. The selling point is that it gives you information cards when it thinks you need them. The corollary to this is that if you lead a boring life (like me) you won't get many cards: I'm sittin here lookin at it going, "Ok, um. When are you going to do something?"

* I don't think (?) you can go back and consult cards after you've looked at them.

* If you want to read and respond to SMS messages you need to make Google Hangouts the default program for handling SMS.

...and a question I have: is there a way to keep the watch from lighting up my whole room every time I roll over in bed? (other than remembering to put it on dimmest before sleep)

...and a question I have: is there a way to keep the watch from lighting up my whole room every time I roll over in bed? (other than remembering to put it on dimmest before sleep)

This behavior I think is controlled by the clock watch face itself. So, there is a possibility that you could get one that does not wake like this.

I would think someone soon will develop an app to accomplish this though, if they haven't already. Although, this may help you: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yonisamlan.wearbabytime

Back
Top Bottom