• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about Rooting and Custom ROM

Syphon

I have been around these forums since the Hero came out. I was lurking then and became a member when I bought a Hero 2 weeks later.

I enjoy my Hero although yes it is slow at times. I love watching my SprintTV on my phone and listening to Pandora.

I have read that if I but a custom ROM on and SetCPU and a few other goodies, I can speed the phone up a lot and have a better experience. I also hear that I can tether without having to use PDANet. Here are my questions.

1. Can I still use Sprint TV?

2. Is the speed boost really worth installing a Custom ROM

3. What is the benefit of just Rooting the phone and keeping the Stock ROM?

4. I see this voids the warranty, but if you put the stock software back on the phone, does sprint ever know that you rooted if you take it in for service?

5. And can some of you that have done this process list out the top 5 favorite features you got out of this. Makes these actual results, not just what you heard about.

UPDATE: Most of my questions were answered at http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/38911-guide-root-rom-faq-tutorial.html these are just lingering ones.

a lot of your questions are answered here http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/38911-guide-root-rom-faq-tutorial.html

1. yes.. run the RUU and all will be as if you pulled it out of the box
2. yes it voids your warranty.
3. yes you can still have sprint TV
4. opinions vary on this. some say huge increases a few say none.
5. no, you can't get the OTA update. however, most of the custom ROM developers will have a ROM ready to flash within a day or less

With the warranty, if you run the RUU and go back to stock, it won't be a problem. Am I right?

correct... that and if the phone is dead...as in won't power up at all... then no one will even know it was rooted..just don't expect Sprint to support you if you root...

Thanks however I have updated my questions, since I found that sticky that had most my original questions. I am mainly looking for the top 5 things people like about it because I may want to do this this weekend.

I just did it about five minutes ago and can tell that the phone is snappier. I haven't had Fresh on here long enough to give you a thorough review yet.

1. Yes
  2. At this time using Fresh 1.1 with gumbo kernel + set cpu. The lag for phone and keyboards is non existent.It performs much snappier. Phone browses the web like a champ with dolphin browser.
  3. Developers fixes/updates might not work on stock but okay on their custom rom
  4. No need to worry on warranty. Just flash back to original rom.
  5. Wi Fi tethering, speed increase, home brew tools, the abilty to play around and try new stuff excites me.

It's worth the effort for what you get. Your talking about 30 minutes of your time, tops. Your warranty is voided but it really depends on what you try to do with it. 99% of the time you need the insurance is because you either broke it, lost it, or it was stolen. In any of those circumstances it really doesn't matter what you did to the OS.

Back
Top Bottom