• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root This is rediculous!

I have a Droid DNA 2.06 originally used Moonshine rooted and flashed to NOS rom - Sense 5 rom.

ONLY reason i even flashed was in hopes that the rom was DeOdexed so i could use ROM TOOLBOX PRO to change my icons and keep the sense feature.

Well now that im on it i find out this rom is in fact NOT DeOdexed but still Odex..UGH which means ROM TOOLS still cannot do what i BOUGHT it to do in the first place...

So i get to digging deeper i learn i can manually DeOdex the rom myself. I have done EVERYTHING im supposed to do and tried a couple of different ways to do it...

When i go to open ADB my device is not located NO MATTER WHAT?!! WTH!!!! why? i have even manually tried to force it to work and still my device is not located and i DO have the GOOGLE USB drivers installed and correctly

ive followed these 3 Guides and a hours put into trying to simply get custom notification icons (i want red and pretty) sense is dull and boring and white

How To Install and Use ADB, the Android Debug Bridge Utility

Deodex Your Stock/Rooted Rom - Droid DNA Help & Support - TeamBAMF

How to get ADB & Fastboot the easy way - Android Techy

PLEASE someone has to know something!! At this point im begging the DNA section is dead i do not know where to go to ASK a question about this stuff

no idea about manually odexing roms,but here are some basic troubleshooting steps for adb/fastboot connectivity:

troubleshooting connectivity issues:
*make sure you have changed to your adb/fastboot directory!
*make sure usb debugging is enabled(checkmarked) to use adb in the OS
-try a reboot of the PC
-try different usb cables and ports
-dont use a usb hub
-dont use usb 3.0
-make sure nothing capable of comunicating with the phone is enabled and running. htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,and even itunes have all been known to cause issues.
-windows 8 has been known to have issues. try a windows 7 or older machine

failing the above,
-i use these drivers for fastboot and adb(donwload and run as admin): http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (mirror)

failing that,try manually updating the drivers in the following manner:
-put the phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from the hboot menu)
-open device manager on the PC
-plug in phone,watch for it to pop up in device manager.
-update drivers with device manager,pointing the wizard to the extracted
driver download folder from above

note that you can check the connectivity of the phone,and make sure drivers are working by in the following manner:
-open cmd window. change to directory containing adb/fastboot utilities

-adb with the phone in the booted OS,usb debug enabled,enter:
adb devices in a cmd window

-fastboot with phone in fastboot(not hboot!),enter:
fastboot devices in cmd window

in either case,a properly connected phone with working drivers installed should report back the phones serial number.

ive not looked around much at dna roms,but seems you should be able to find a stockish rom that in an odex vedsion. might try xda and rootzwiki also if you havent allready

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
no idea about manually odexing roms,but here are some basic troubleshooting steps for adb/fastboot connectivity:

ive not looked around much at dna roms,but seems you should be able to find a stockish rom that in an odex vedsion. might try xda and rootzwiki also if you havent allready

There is not a sense 5 roms there is a stock Rom but I do not want stock exactly of im going through all the trouble as well as would would this be moved it was NOT in the wrong spot as ny question was pretty general and does not HAVE to be a DNA for the odex and such process that is a android thing not a DNA thing I posted it where I did for a reason!

I'm getting ZERO help in the DNA section and it is not JUST DNA related...forget it I'm done with this forum it's worthless too dead thanks anyway as well as I've done those exact steps already but I appreciate the input anyways

Upvote 0
When you enter the 'adb devices' command do you get an error or does it just show no device? Is the adb deamon starting? Have you used this machine for adb in the past with no troubles? (with this or other phones)

Aside from the usb driver, you may need an adb interface driver unless it's pulling double duty. Watch device manager on your pc (if running Windows) as you connect. First watch it while connecting in charge only mode. Then watch it as you switch to whatever mode you run adb from, along with debugging on. You should see a device show up that references adb and/or adb interface. If this is not happening, it could still be a driver issue.

If all is well there, do you remember ever accepting the authorization popup on this computer during your first connection effort? That has caused issues for many an adb user lately. They added another level of security and it's proving to be a PIA at times.

Reactions: des343 and scotty85
Upvote 0
When you enter the 'adb devices' command do you get an error or does it just show no device? Is the adb deamon starting? Have you used this machine for adb in the past with no troubles? (with this or other phones)

Aside from the usb driver, you may need an adb interface driver unless it's pulling double duty. Watch device manager on your pc (if running Windows) as you connect. First watch it while connecting in charge only mode. Then watch it as you switch to whatever mode you run adb from, along with debugging on. You should see a device show up that references adb and/or adb interface. If this is not happening, it could still be a driver issue.

If all is well there, do you remember ever accepting the authorization popup on this computer during your first connection effort? That has caused issues for many an adb user lately. They added another level of security and it's proving to be a PIA at times.

Well I've tried two different ways to do adb one was a trick way which show "no devices detected" or whatever but did say it started the daemon the other way was using the adb manager which was just blank and showed nothing at all I do bot remember seeing any kind of message that asked me to accept anything when using the manager or the other way. When I try to manaually have my computer use the "Google usb driver" it lets me do it then pops up a message that says my drivers are installed properly I even uninstalled them and did it this way but it just installs the driver and says ot installed correctly. And same results infer device not found on the one way and a bank nothing found on the manager way.

As far as adb manager goes I ended up installing ALL updates even still exact same result I'll post some screens later when I'm home if you are willing to at least take a look at it just incase my explanation is not very good which odds are it isn't .

Thanks for the input! I'll dig deeper when I'm home as to what you said

Btw I have never used adb before this device and I'm honestly going through ALL of this for the simple goal of getting custom notification bar icons I like sense but the bar blows it's so bland!

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Ok. Yeah if you could open device manager in Windows while connecting and with usb debugging enabled, that would be the place to do a screen shot. Let's see how the phone is being identified by Windows in that configuration. That will tell us a lot.

If it's not being seen as adb in windows device manager, you may just have to install a different driver. I did a little checking and saw that some people were having good luck with the pdanet drivers. I always had good luck with them on HTC devices along with the Unrevoked drivers that Scotty listed above. Usually one of those two or both will do the trick for most any HTC I've ever come across. You'll have to manually install the driver, I find it easiest to do this right in windows device manager.

I checked your first link about installing adb and I noticed they didn't include the instructions on how to set up an environmental variable in windows so that you can use adb from any directory. That's fine but then you have to be sure you're issuing the adb devices command from the platform-tools directory for it to work. Sounds like you may be doing that already if the daemon is starting but just wanted to make sure.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Ok. Yeah if you could open device manager in Windows while connecting and with usb debugging enabled, that would be the place to do a screen shot. Let's see how the phone is being identified by Windows in that configuration. That will tell us a lot.

If it's not being seen as adb in windows device manager, you may just have to install a different driver. I did a little checking and saw that some people were having good luck with the pdanet drivers. I always had good luck with them on HTC devices along with the Unrevoked drivers that Scotty listed above. Usually one of those two or both will do the trick for most any HTC I've ever come across. You'll have to manually install the driver, I find it easiest to do this right in windows device manager.

I checked your first link about installing adb and I noticed they didn't include the instructions on how to set up an environmental variable in windows so that you can use adb from any directory. That's fine but then you have to be sure you're issuing the adb devices command from the platform-tools directory for it to work. Sounds like you may be doing that already if the daemon is starting but just wanted to make sure.

Okay thank you I didn't have a chance to last night but will for sure tonight thanks again for trying to help

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones