• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This is why I'm considering using Google's 14 day return policy

And the inability of having anything but endless icon grids on the iPhone didn't bother you? You can put app shortcuts on your homescreens, after all. Whatever other complaints you may have, this one is just downright bizarre. Quite frankly, you should like a Mac user who's spent a while with Windows, throws up his hands and declaring Win7 is terrible because the Windows logo gives him rashes. You're experiencing transitional remorse.

Here's how I see it, I have 5 (or 7) home screens to deal with. Most of which are taken up by widgets and a few apps. Now my Menu is my door to the rest of my applications, which can run up to more than a 100. Having to scroll between a 100 apps including the ones already on the home screen is not very convenient. I know there is the search feature, but still. I would have liked to see the option (isn't that what Android is about? ;)) to reorganize my Menu.

Looks like you're doing something wrong, then. My Gmail pushes perfectly fine.

I'm pretty sure I have done all that I can, two master resets, 4 calls to Google Nexus One support, multiple forums. It still does not push consistently. If I have to do more than that, then it's not a "smart"phone.

Cars are harder to drive than a tricycle, therefore tricycles are better vehicles, right?

I'm not saying it's hard, it's very much doable. But they could have used the bigger screen and give the functionality to the toolbar of specific apps.

No.

There's such a thing as installing alternative keyboards. There are plenty of them to go around, from the superior HTC IME to Swype/SlideIT/Shapewriter.

If I have to sway away from stock options to get something as basic as a decent keyboard to type on... it say novels about development from Google's side. Though the alternatives make it better (I tried the predictive text ones, which makes predictive keys bigger), it's still not at par.

Dude. There're more to multi-tasking than push notifications. I don't know what the hell you run on your phone, but I for one appreciate being able to have Google Maps and a browser open at once, among other things, while Tube Downloader fetches, converts and downloads some five clips I lined up.

Agreed. I still prefer WebOS to both iPhone (you can jailbreak and get functionality) and Android in multitasking.

It's nice to see how you did your research and read up on all those "my phone got scratched/dust under the screen so I sent it in with an unlocked bootloader and HTC still honors the warranty!" threads, amirite? Wait, looks like you didn't. Hilarious.

Yes, I have looked at that thread. And after making phone calls to both Google and HTC, I was told by both that if you're phone is rooted - BYE BYE! And I did quote them the above incident. The fact that you would believe everything that is written on a forum blindly without confirming is hilarious.

Oh my shit, no. Apple's sales staff are some of the most tech-illiterate morons I've ever had the misfortune of running into. Go in and ask them if the iPhone can multi-task yet ("you mean multi-touch?") and whether the iPad can run Flash ("uhhhm"). True story: that's the answers I got the last time I went into an Apple store. One of the guys had to look up the iPhone's processor. Pa-****ing-thetic useless wastes of oxygen.

You know people keep saying these things, as an Apple customer for a good 4 years, I have been to numerous Apple Stores in different and have always found the staff helpful and knowledgeable. If you had any knowledge or experience in working in a retail environment you should have known that any employee is not allowed to say anything more than what the company has said - iPhone processor.

You know what I like about Apple Stores? I'm not running into computer geeks (I am one as well) all the time, but I can meet and talk to people from different backgrounds professionally and hobbyists and learn about how they use there computers and how I can link that into my experience. Have an open mind, you'll learn much more.

The iPhone does multi-task but on a slightly inferior level than Android, all that might change on the 8th! ;)

OMG I CAN'T RUN WinXP ON MY 486 PC, NOT FAIR, WAAH WAAH WAHHHHHHHH. Have you... ever... used a computer? Like, ever? Is Microsoft obliged to give everyone a free upgrade to Win7 to everybody? Oooh, did Apple hand every single Mac owner a free Snow Leopard upgrade? Yes? No?

One line.

APPLE SUPPORTS OLDER IPHONE MODELS, ANDROID DOES NOT.

I never said that they should be obliged. All I said was, some choose to support user, "some" don't.

If an OS like Android which is so customizable will take so long to get ported on to older hardware, it is one of two things. One, it can't be. Two, the people concerned, Google or providers, simply don't care not that they have your money.

Yes I have used computers, probably more than you have. So let me get this straight, if I get a 2009 Android Phone, in 2010 it would be relatively as outdated as a 486 PC in 2010? Wow! I'm glad I'm returning my phone.

And don't even get me into Windows and Mac OS updates, if you thing Windows has supported older hardware than Apple, you're a fool. A 2005 MacBook can run Snow Leopard, a 2005 PC CANNOT run Win7. What does that say? Oh yeah, have you ever done any research?

Upvote 0
APPLE SUPPORTS OLDER IPHONE MODELS, ANDROID DOES NOT.
<snip>...
And don't even get me into Windows and Mac OS updates, if you thing Windows has supported older hardware than Apple, you're a fool. A 2005 MacBook can run Snow Leopard, a 2005 PC CANNOT run Win7. What does that say? Oh yeah, have you ever done any research?

Erm... once again... please read about Froyo and look around at discussions of upcoming updates for the MyTouch 3G and Hero phones.
Or show me a statement from Google saying that updates will not be released for older Android hardware. Otherwise please stop stating that Google will not support older hardware without the facts to back it up...

Re Windows / Apple...
I must be a fool then because...
The last mac to use the PowerPC architecture was (I believe) the Power Mac G5, sold until August 2006. PowerPC architecture is not supported under Snow Leopard.
Windows 7 does run fine on a 2005 machine with suitable hardware resources. I rebuilt my in-law's Sony laptop last weekend, wiping XP Media Centre 2005 edition and replacing it with Win 7 - it runs faster and no longer has the bluescreen problem it started life with...

Like Microsoft, Google have produced an operating system that support a wide variance of hardware from a wide range of manufacturers. Apple have not. So updates take a little longer. Personally, I can live with that...

Upvote 0
Erm... once again... please read about Froyo and look around at discussions of upcoming updates for the MyTouch 3G and Hero phones.
Or show me a statement from Google saying that updates will not be released for older Android hardware. Otherwise please stop stating that Google will not support older hardware without the facts to back it up...

Re Windows / Apple...
I must be a fool then because...
The last mac to use the PowerPC architecture was (I believe) the Power Mac G5, sold until August 2006. PowerPC architecture is not supported under Snow Leopard.
Windows 7 does run fine on a 2005 machine with suitable hardware resources. I rebuilt my in-law's Sony laptop last weekend, wiping XP Media Centre 2005 edition and replacing it with Win 7 - it runs faster and no longer has the bluescreen problem it started life with...

Like Microsoft, Google have produced an operating system that support a wide variance of hardware from a wide range of manufacturers. Apple have not. So updates take a little longer. Personally, I can live with that...

Well I cannot, when I buy a phone or a computer I don't want to wait for updates, especially when it came out the same damn year. 2.0 came out in October, it's been 5 months.

My quote is true as of today, Google has not. It's been in "works" for a long time.

Read my post again, I said MacBook.

You said it yourself
machine with suitable hardware resources. I rebuilt
, on a Mac, even with minimum specifications, the OS runs when they say it should.

Upvote 0
Well I cannot, when I buy a phone or a computer I don't want to wait for updates, especially when it came out the same damn year. 2.0 came out in October, it's been 5 months.

My quote is true as of today, Google has not. It's been in "works" for a long time.

Read my post again, I said MacBook.

You said it yourself , on a Mac, even with minimum specifications, the OS runs when they say it should.

I stand corrected on the Mac / Macbook then - my bad.

You clearly don't want to consider alternatives to the position you have adopted, so I'm out.
Enjoy your iPhone.

Upvote 0
Having moved from a 3Gs to a N1 in the last few days i personaly think the N1 leaves the iPhone for dead. Out of the box the iPhone is now very dated, with no notifications on the lock screen. everything arranged in a grid and ONLY what apple says goes...

N1 out of the box is a much nicer experience, lock screen is useful, apps arranged as i want them. and expandable memory.

Yes the iPhone can be jailborken but your warranty is void if done so.

each person will make there own judgement but for my money the N1 is the better device.

:)

Reactions: daffyduck
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones