• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tip and questions

jeffzz421

Hi guys,

I have been just drooling over this phone lately and so I went on here to read about it. I have a couple questions but can probably help you guys a bit too.

First, http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/301922-every-root-user-should-read.html , this a thread I made for the oldtimus phone and it can apply to this one of course. Have any of you guys upgraded the swype version that was pre installed to the newest beta? I have the newest beta on my admire and love it, and it also seems snappier than the last version. I was also wondering this because its the latest version Im wondering if it would help you guys with your batter drainage due to keyboards??

Second, this prolly got mentioned, but did any of you guys edit the build.prop file to make your wifi scan less often? This is a minor tweak but could help the battery drainage as well, and every little bit counts.

Lastly I was wondering what exactly are the implications of the different versions of firmware on this phone. (ZVA vs ZV8 vs ZV9) I heard that one of them doesnt allow for tethering which isnt a big deal but are they all easily rootable and flashable with CWM? Reading this forum Ive seen ppl trying to downgrade to ZV8 and upgrade to ZVA so Im wondering which version I really want. Hope to grab this beast of a phone soon for 218 which doesnt seem like a bad deal at all. Thanks and keep up the good work on the connect 4g everyone!!

I haven't updated Swype. And I haven't had a need to change my wifi scan time either. I keep it off most of the time. As for the different versions, ZV8 had tethering. MetroPCS hated that people ACTUALLY used it, so they made ZV9 which basically just removed it. Then they made ZVA which made battery life a bit better, and fixed overheating.

Cool, thanks for the knowledge. Yeah I love the new swype. It is actually a major overhaul of swype altogether and not just a version tweak so I largely recommend it if you're a swype fan. Anyways thanks again, cant wait to get this phone.

First off, swype isn't affecting the battery. That's just the scapegoat in this situation, delete swype for a day and you'll notice that the battery drain gets divided amongst the low battery usage apps.

second, the wifi-scan interval won't affect the battery drain anymore than deleting swype sadly.

finally, each version of the software patches up old issues like a minor back-door that opened up with background data apps. each update brings something new to the table, it's up to you which one works better for you (considering the market has apps to bypass any of the locks lg or metropcs have in place).

When you guys say "removed tether" you must mean the 4g hotspot shortcut. I'm on 9 (rooted) and use a wireless tether app without issue.

First off, swype isn't affecting the battery. That's just the scapegoat in this situation, delete swype for a day and you'll notice that the battery drain gets divided amongst the low battery usage apps.

second, the wifi-scan interval won't affect the battery drain anymore than deleting swype sadly.

finally, each version of the software patches up old issues like a minor back-door that opened up with background data apps. each update brings something new to the table, it's up to you which one works better for you (considering the market has apps to bypass any of the locks lg or metropcs have in place).

I think he is totally right. I am getting same battery and I am on the beta for swype. It says its taking 93% of my battery and every thing else it taking 1-5%, that just doesn't seem right. Before installing, things took 20-30% (phone idle, wifi etc..)

The % IS PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL USE of phone battery right?

I think the battery stats must be on a refresh interval because my keyboard only hogs (according to battery stats) after it's been in use for a while... cell standby is the top hog 99% of the time

Back