• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Titanium Backup Pro and ROM suggestions

Hello everyone. My wife recently gave me permission to further mod her EVO in an effort to remove further bloatware and add some customization to it. She doesn't want it all crazy modded out like mine with CM7.1/Tiamat. She does want to retain the core of the stock Sprint ROM minus all the Sprint TV,Nascar, Blockbuster, etc. stuff. So, I have two questions:

1. She has Titanium Backup Pro. I used it to freeze the unwanted apps but for some reason they still show up on her Market with updates. Would this app allow me to back up her apps along with the data on it such as her Plants vs. Zombies saves and whatnot? All her game saves is important to her...

2. What ROM would you guys suggest for her? As I stated above, she likes the core of the stock Sprint ROM but without the bloatware (I guess she likes Sense but IDK). Something simple and easy to use.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Hello everyone. My wife recently gave me permission to further mod her EVO in an effort to remove further bloatware and add some customization to it. She doesn't want it all crazy modded out like mine with CM7.1/Tiamat. She does want to retain the core of the stock Sprint ROM minus all the Sprint TV,Nascar, Blockbuster, etc. stuff. So, I have two questions:

1. She has Titanium Backup Pro. I used it to freeze the unwanted apps but for some reason they still show up on her Market with updates. Would this app allow me to back up her apps along with the data on it such as her Plants vs. Zombies saves and whatnot? All her game saves is important to her...

2. What ROM would you guys suggest for her? As I stated above, she likes the core of the stock Sprint ROM but without the bloatware (I guess she likes Sense but IDK). Something simple and easy to use.

Thanks in advance everyone.
1) Yes, Titanium Backup will save all user apps, or only selected, and their relevant data:
a. Launcher titanium Backup
b. Tap Menu > Batch
c. In the Backup section of the next window scroll down to the last option entitled "Backup all new apps & newer versions and tap the "Run" button to the left of it.
d. In the next window select the apps you want to back up and tap the button at the top of the window
e. The section just below that will allow you to restore apps and data if you ever need that option.
f. Do not backups system app data, this can cause problems when that data is restored. Only backup the data that is relevant to the user apps (this can be done from the advice in step d above).

The batch operation should run and backup all, or selected, apps and relevant data. Once Titanium Backup has completed its task be sure to copy the contents of the SD card to a computer for safe keeping.

2) I'm on the Evo 4G and have been using the Stock and rooted 4.53.651.1 ROM found here. This ROM has been giving me crazy good battery life and includes all stock apps. However, there is a new stock and rooted 4.54.651.1 ROM out that includes the recent security update, it can be found here but I have not had a chance to test this ROM.

Just FYI:
Odexed ROM = Slightly faster but difficult to theme
De-odexed ROM = Slightly slower but easier to theme

There is a nice list of Evo 4G ROMs and Kernels here If she is ever tempted to try different ROMs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones