• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Titanium Backup Pro wont use external SD

31. External SD Card problems (This Folder is NOT Writeable)
  • Since Android 4.4 and above, the SDCard permissions have been changed on how it is granted to an application. A quick way to fix this is by using SDFix application.
  • There is an elegant way of giving TitaniumBackup write access to the external sdcard, without having to forfeit security (as in method 3 below). Since the time of Android 4.3, Google uses a very clean security-solution by giving apps that request write access to external SD, permission only to their own folder – not to the entire card! In order to get TitaniumBackup to work without compromising security, you can simply create a folder on the external sdcard,using the following folder-structure: /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/
  • If you already have existing backups, move them with a file-explorer from their current place to: /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/ Lastly, go to the preferences of TitaniumBackup, choose “Backup folder location” and choose the above specified folder.
    Finish.

Upvote 0
31. External SD Card problems (This Folder is NOT Writeable)
  • There is an elegant way of giving TitaniumBackup write access to the external sdcard, without having to forfeit security (as in method 3 below). Since the time of Android 4.3, Google uses a very clean security-solution by giving apps that request write access to external SD, permission only to their own folder – not to the entire card! In order to get TitaniumBackup to work without compromising security, you can simply create a folder on the external sdcard,using the following folder-structure: /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/
Nice one!

So simple, so elegant and so annoyed that I didn't think of that first!

No need to break any existing security model or anything like that - I can confirm that it still works for Marshmallow based AOSP ROMS (Cyanogenmod 13) on my S5 GT-i9505... and I'll be testing it on my SM-G906K as soon as I've got that up to "daily driver" status!

My storage SD card name was different (Marshmallow serial number style), but it look slike it'll work on any "**SDcard**/Android/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/" subfolder too (I created an extra "Backups" folder under "com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup" as I had some settings files int here already - although those were probably just a legacy of a previous effort effort to lift and shift the whole main storage TitaniumBackup folder!!

Upvote 0
I know this thread is a bit old. But it was the first result of my search, so other ppl may find it as well.

The "elegant way" is still working for me on Nougat. At first, I used a preexisting folder that had a wrong path though. I needed to create a folder at the right place and then I could select it in TiBU.

Wrong Path:
"**PathToSDcard**/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/"​
Working Path:
"**PathToSDcard**/Android/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/"​

Now I'm able to recover my apps from ext. SD without messing with any 3rd party apps. :cool:

Reactions: Father Guido
Upvote 0
I know this thread is a bit old. But it was the first result of my search, so other ppl may find it as well.

The "elegant way" is still working for me on Nougat. At first, I used a preexisting folder that had a wrong path though. I needed to create a folder at the right place and then I could select it in TiBU.

Wrong Path:
"**PathToSDcard**/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/"​
Working Path:
"**PathToSDcard**/Android/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/"​

Now I'm able to recover my apps from ext. SD without messing with any 3rd party apps. :cool:
Been searching for days to get this answer - Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones