• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To the left, to the left!

Rightie here; Am completely normal in every way.:rolleyes::p

Quick story with (some) relevance to left/right relationships, conventions, as well as genetic programming, bear with me.....

Several years ago, I and best friend/co-worker were sent away on a business trip. Both of us born and raised in a part of the country where all traffic signals are configured in the only logical manner there is;;) Top to bottom...... Red, Yellow, Green.

Simple.

We arrived (somewhere) in the mid-west, where all the traffic signals are......Left to right; Red, Yellow, Green.

Odd, but no big deal.
We climb into the rental car, leave the airport.....And within a few blocks, he pulled the car over and (quite shaken) said:
"This is freaking me out, I can't deal with this. Yer' gonna' have to drive for the rest of this trip.........I never shared this with you, but.........I'm completely Red/Green color blind."

Upvote 0
Rightie here; Am completely normal in every way.:rolleyes::p

Quick story with (some) relevance to left/right relationships, conventions, as well as genetic programming, bear with me.....

Several years ago, I and best friend/co-worker were sent away on a business trip. Both of us born and raised in a part of the country where all traffic signals are configured in the only logical manner there is;;) Top to bottom...... Red, Yellow, Green.

Simple.

We arrived (somewhere) in the mid-west, where all the traffic signals are......Left to right; Red, Yellow, Green.

Odd, but no big deal.
We climb into the rental car, leave the airport.....And within a few blocks, he pulled the car over and (quite shaken) said:
"This is freaking me out, I can't deal with this. Yer' gonna' have to drive for the rest of this trip.........I never shared this with you, but.........I'm completely Red/Green color blind."
You won't like driving in China then. We've got lights that are top-to-bottom, side-by-side, and single ones as well, where there's only one aspect that changes colour, red, yellow, green. And find a mix of all three types in any city and province. I think it's down to the particular companies that made them as to what type they are.

In the UK, they're only top-to-bottom, red, yellow, green.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the UK, they're only top-to-bottom, red, yellow, green.

Unless you make it to the bonus round, in which case:

Traffic_lights.jpg

Upvote 0
Kid and I are both right handed except when ice skating. She'd take power classes and would go with the lefties.

I took group lessons and had one coach (who I knew well) say, "Now I know why the kid is backwards, the mother is)
We adjusted.
No offense at this coach as my kid (10 at the time)walked up to her and asked the coach to take her to see the Chippendales. One shocked coach.
Chippendales had appeared on Donohue, old am talk show.

Upvote 0
Unless you make it to the bonus round, in which case:

Traffic_lights.jpg
Close bit no cigar. [emoji14] That is regular top-to-bottom, red, yellow, green. But each side is for a different traffic lane. Sometimes the green light is an arrow to indicate left turn or right turn only

I was talking about something more like this, which is definitely side-by-side aspects. Although the convention is red on the left, green on the right, and green is an arrow. Often there's a countdown, seconds until the lights change.
046a8faa8d7166b585c31780019cf8f1.jpg
f16c7abdd8d304d9f585710d0f586245.jpg

But there's no consistency for type in a city or province.

Last edited:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones