• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Too many pattern attempts

Ali1364

Lurker
Now, I am in "Too many pattern attempts" page on my Samsung Nexus S, it asks my Google user name and password to unlock the phone, and I inter the correct ones but it doesn't unlock the the phone, "Invalid username or password" is displayed. How can I unlock it?

Now, I am in "Too many pattern attempts" page on my Samsung Nexus S, it asks my Google user name and password to unlock the phone, and I inter the correct ones but it doesn't unlock the the phone, "Invalid username or password" is displayed. How can I unlock it?
Umm...just curious, how do you use the wrong pattern too many times?
And how do you not know your username and password for the Gmail account on your phone?

Anyway, google for instructions on doing a factory reset from the Recovery menu. That should work, but you lose all the settings, apps, configuration, texts, etc. You'll need to setup the phone like it was new again.

1. A child used the wrong pattern too many times.
2. I know my gmail username and password but it doesn't work on my locked phone.

Same issue for me. I have a Nexus S, for which I am locked out: it asks my Google user name and password to unlock the phone, and I inter the correct ones but it doesn't unlock the the phone, "Invalid username or password" is displayed.

So, I have looked through many forums and posts & Youtube, all with hints and tricks, but none of these work with my Nexus S. Is this phone unique? At any rate, how can I unlock it without doing a factory reset??

I even searched for a Google support call centre, I figure if their software doesn't work, they should have a support desk - but no.

If there is no way around this (hard to believe that would be the case with such a common occurence) does a factory reset send the OS back to gingerbread? Or will it stay on ICS?

by the way, i have read that this doesn't work, even with the correct password & ID because the OS is confused if there are more than 1 email id's associated with the account. I have gone in on my computer and ensured that I only have 1 email address.

If there is no way around this (hard to believe that would be the case with such a common occurence) does a factory reset send the OS back to gingerbread? Or will it stay on ICS?
A 'factory reset' resets the current firmware installed, so if you have ICS or JB installed, it will wipe the settings and initialize with the current version (it should be called a 'software reset'). The 'factory reset' from the Recovery Menu is the same as a reset from within the software settings - it will wipe the setup and configuration of the phone but it won't erase the contents of the 'SD card' unless you specify it. So if you have photos, videos, etc. stored in the 'SD card' memory, they will not be erased. You will lose your texts, phone log, downloaded apps, and settings. If you used Google Backup, many of your settings and apps can be restored upon a reset - not sure exactly what gets backed up as I've never used it myself.

Back
Top Bottom