• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Toshiba or not to shiba

Hello Tosh, gotta Toshiba?

I've got a Toshiba 4TB USB HDD, I use with my T95 Android box. I bought last year, and it seems to be okay.

$63 sounds about right for the Toshiba 2GB HDD, and I'm pretty sure Walmart isn't one to be selling fakes. Something to note, the Toshiba HDDs come pre-formatted as Windows NTFS, so if you want to use with a device that isn't Windows, e.g. Android, you'll need to re-format it as FAT32 or exFAT. If you're intending to use with a "crimebook", apparently ChromeOS can use NTFS.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/how-to-use-an-external-drive-with-a-chromebook/

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have mentioned it's apparently hdd and not solid state. I sure hope not. It says it's portable, and it looks small enough to be. I would prefer external anyway because plug and play is probably more my style. Still, if there's any "computer" it would be worth risking by opening up, I'm sure it's a crimebook.

I got this one on Amazon for $32...
Portable Hard Drive 2TB External Hard Drive Mobile SSD Solid State Drive Slim Storage Drive with USB 3.0 C Port for PC, Laptop and Mac for Data Transfer and Storage (Blue) https://a.co/d/jgSXyJc

I'd be hesitant about some of the Amazon no-name "Shipped from China" ones...
..could end up with a knock-off USB thumb-drive, and a couple of large hex nuts or carriage bolts(for weight).
fakehdd.jpg

The genuine USB HDDs I've seen are either Toshiba or Seagate. They're definitely portable, as they're using 2.5in HDDs.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's legit. They'd have a heckuva lotta nerve carrying a bogus product right in their store. It's behind glass, locked, which they've been doing with everything from t shirts and socks to razors, even the cheap kind. It's such fun to try to find an available employee, let alone one who has a key AND can use it. Once I had to help shut the sliding door after the product was removed. Another, the guy apparently lost the SD card he had just taken out and had to get a replacement...

I'm pretty sure it's legit. They'd have a heckuva lotta nerve carrying a bogus product right in their store. It's behind glass, locked, which they've been doing with everything from t shirts and socks to razors, even the cheap kind. It's such fun to try to find an available employee, let alone one who has a key AND can use it. Once I had to help shut the sliding door after the product was removed. Another, the guy apparently lost the SD card he had just taken out and had to get a replacement...
Oh how I hated that! I remember even in the heyday of Kmart, finding the one employee for the electronics department took upwards of like ten to fifteen minutes! That was when I was buying my first TV I saved my allowance for ten years for. What an exciting moment though!

Have a look a SMOOREZ channel on YouTube, he buys and reviews a ton of fake Chinese electronics. You won't believe how comical they are regarding the claims and in the teardown.

Well, I took the chance. I got the 2 TB and set up the crimebook with wifi. I have now downloaded duckduckgo, made that default, and downloaded Ubuntu. It's probably the latest version. When I clicked on it, there was something about what I want to use to open it. How would I know? Then I went to the Ubuntu page and it's supposed to show how to install it. Does it really need a flash drive? I don't have that. Can I use the portable hdd instead? Do I have to format it before I use it? The instructions included are minimal. I'm not sure where to plug it in either.

I found out where they hid the Ubuntu beta. It didn't take long to install. God knows how much space that takes. Now I'm stuck at command line interface not knowing what to type.

Ok, and then what do I do? I have used Ubuntu years ago, and it seemed a little more user friendly. The main thing for me is that I want to get rid of googoo. I'm not sure if it can be expunged or if it's permanently stuck. If I can at least shut it down, avoid it, and not have to put up with its spying, I suppose that'll be an accomplishment. Also, how do I add a mouse? I'm not really down with that, but compared to that track pad or whatever it's called, it'd be an improvement.

A default Ubuntu desktop (not server) install should have a DE (desktop environment)

Sometimes, though, using apt to install an app can nuke the DE as Linus Tech Tips found out the hard way!

'startx' has been deprecated since Wayland, hasn't it?

If you're without a DE, the easiest way is to type something like this:

Code:
sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop

Which should install the KDE DE, along with all the graphical bits it relies on. Mouse drivers are by default installed. Just plug in whatever you want and go!

Can it use any old mouse? I would like to get the kind that is not wired but has a small device that plugs into whatever port that is. How do I know which port?

How do I format the drive for FAT32 or EXFAT? Which is better? I guess they both work with Linux. What the heck is Wayland?

If you're using Linux, you'll need to have GParted (the partition editor) installed. that can format the drive as pretty much any file system you want.

Linux prefers the EXT2 filesystem at least. I doubt FAT32 is supported. Wayland is the successor to the X Window System, which was the graphical system that Linux has relied on since its inception. X Window System/Wayland is what makes the GUI, while the Desktop Environment (or DE) is what it actually looks like.

What Is Wayland and What Does It Means for Linux Users - Make Tech Easier

FYI, you're supposed to boot the CD (or USB drive you put the ISO onto) to install Linux. AutoPlay asking you what you're going to do won't work. Linux cannot start from within Windows or ChromeOS. There ain't no 'setup.exe' on a Linux install media.

Last edited:
I don't have a CD or USB drive. I don"t know what I'm gonna do about that. I don't even know which slot is for what on this thing. Is there some kind of labeled diagram? By the way, why can't I just download and install Linux the same way I would install an app with Android? What's the point of making things difficult? I just want to use Linux, say goodbye to googoo and those streaky windows, finally get Calibre, and maybe have an old time phone revival.

Back
Top Bottom