• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Touch and hold / long press, and slight finger movement

Sunny Rio

Android Enthusiast
Not sure if this is Google Maps only, or a general Android thing, but I just wasted 2 hours of my life trying to get google maps to set a waypoint on the map for me to drive to to go for a walk. You have to touch and hold / long press the map to make a marker. This didn't' work. I've now found out the phone must be on a perfectly still surface, rest your wrist on that same perfectly still surface, then press and hold without moving your finger more than 2 billionths of a millimetre. Please please please somebody tell me this idiocy can be adjusted?

Nothing wrong with the phone, I can long press in any other app. There must be a setting, similar to windows where you can state the maximum distance between two mouse clicks to call it a double click.

How can I speak directions when the destination is just a point on the map? "Go to that little path about 40% of the way along the B941"?

You press for a second or so, but that's all. I can do it with the phone in my hand, one-handed, while walking, etc. Done it half a dozen times on different locations while typing this. Certainly doesn't require any extreme measures to avoid movement, though as noted above if you want it to be accurately-placed it's best to zoom in (fingertips are large, and hence not very precise).

It is a long press that drops a pin. I apologize for not saying so. It also provides the longitude and latitude for that exact pin placement. I so longed for that years ago when I had a "go to" telescope.

Well I'm finding it almost impossible to keep my finger still enough on the map, but in other apps I'm usually doing something like selecting a file from a list, so it must know I'm long pressing that file if my finger doesn't move all the way to the next file in the list. But Google Maps assumes 1 pixel of movement is a drag. There must be a setting to change this. Even with the phone and my hand on a stationary desk, it only works 50% of the time.

It is a long press that drops a pin. I apologize for not saying so. It also provides the longitude and latitude for that exact pin placement. I so longed for that years ago when I had a "go to" telescope.
Does the scope not have a GPS sensor in it?

Mine did not. You told it exactly where you were on earth and then located two known stars. With that information it then would precisely slew the sky for whatever you told it you wanted to see.

Just a note on your mapping problem, I do have touch sensitivity ticked on in my settings.

Nothing wrong with the phone, I can long press in any other app. There must be a setting, similar to windows where you can state the maximum distance between two mouse clicks to call it a double click.

But from what you're describing it does sound like an issue between Google Maps and your particular device. As for a setting for it, I'm not aware of any.

I've used Google Maps on many different phones, and never had any problems with setting waypoints by long pressing.

Well I'm finding it almost impossible to keep my finger still enough on the map, but in other apps I'm usually doing something like selecting a file from a list, so it must know I'm long pressing that file if my finger doesn't move all the way to the next file in the list. But Google Maps assumes 1 pixel of movement is a drag. There must be a setting to change this. Even with the phone and my hand on a stationary desk, it only works 50% of the time.
If long press works in other apps but not Google maps then the obvious explanation is that there's something wrong with Google Maps on your device ("your device" as nobody else has a problem like this, and I've never seen it in 12 years of using Android devices).

I did try an experiment on my phone: went into developer options, found a "pointer location" switch which leaves a little red indication of where I've touched, and tried to see whether my long presses were extraordinarily stable: they weren't, they typically showed as a short red line, but this didn't stop Maps dropping a pin where I wanted it to.

Google apps tend to be limited in settings they have, and I've never seen a setting for this in any individual app (on computers the double click setting you refer to is an overall system setting rather than app-specific). So all I can suggest is clearing Maps' cache (as suggested above), clearing its data (but make sure any bookmarks etc are backed up), or maybe uninstalling updates to the app and seeing whether that improves things. No promises though, since it's not obvious why one app should misbehave and hence what might cure it.

The trouble with maps is it's the kind of thing you use when moving around. You can't avoid dragging when you're physically moving. Such a tiny movement should not be called a drag. There should be a system wide setting you cvn change to requiring your finger to move say at least 5mm before it's not a click.

I find it tells me to leave a roundabout as I'm already doing so. But that may be because I drive like a lunatic and it can't keep up.

Perhaps your new phone isn't getting as good a GPS signal and maps isn't getting an up to date notification of where you are as you move around. Does the cursor move as you do without delays?

I've found a possible source of my phone misunderstanding click or drag. If I click (no not tap or press, I refuse to use such silly words) normally on an icon on the desktop, it just judders, I assume the start of a drag. But if I click lightly, it doesn't. I think as the surface of my fingertip deforms as I press harder, it thinks it's (on average) moved.

As for google maps, yesterday I almost collided with a car, being distracted by maps telling me FIVE times to turn right at a simple t-junction. I think the instructions were something along the lines of:

In 300 yards turn right onto the A71.
In 200 yards turn right onto the A71.
In 100 yards turn right onto the A71.
Turn right onto the A71 then continue 30 miles.
Continue 30 miles.

Seriously?!?

Back
Top Bottom