• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Touch by S4 installation clarification

shezzy

Android Enthusiast
Hi, I just wanted to clarify some things that might of seemed vague to me for the instructions on installed touch by s4 custom rom.. here are the instructions from OP

Download TBSGS3 V6.0 ROM first and check MD5sum

Then download TBSGS4 V1.2

Odin or Mobile Odin EL29 direct boot kernel link:http://rwilco12.androidfilehost.com/...0Direct Boot

Once in recovery run 2x wipe all script by TD here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2077277
This way you can fully wipe everything to include the /Preload folder as well

Flash TBSGS3 V6.0 ROM First

Reboot....you will have to wait almost 3 to 4 mins for it to boot. (be patient)

Set everything up on TBSGS3 V6.0

Then Flash Garwynn source built kernel here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2217686

Let the kernel settle in for a few mins.

Reboot to recovery

Wipe only cache and delvik cache

Flash TBSGS4 V1.2

Reboot

I understand the EL29 direct boot kernal ( i downloaded the one click version ) and i understand i will have to "install from zip" for the 2x wipe and the flash touched by 3s... it says after reboot to "Flash Garwynn source built kernel"..now do i do this by re-using the el29 direct boot one click and then using the .zip garwynn source and "install from zip"?

from there I should have the new garwynn recovery and should be able to install the last tbgs4 update via zip as well?

sorry if this seems like a noob question

I understand the EL29 direct boot kernal ( i downloaded the one click version ) and i understand i will have to "install from zip" for the 2x wipe and the flash touched by 3s... it says after reboot to "Flash Garwynn source built kernel"..now do i do this by re-using the el29 direct boot one click and then using the .zip garwynn source and "install from zip"?

from there I should have the new garwynn recovery and should be able to install the last tbgs4 update via zip as well?

sorry if this seems like a noob question

No, just use Odin(or Mobile Odin) to flash the Garwynn source built kernel, the EL29 direct boot kernel was just used so you could safely do a factory reset and data wipe. I tried that ROM but couldn't get data working, had a JB modem and all, let me know if you get data working. And yes, with the Garwynn source it will give you Agat's recovery, where you can flash the tbgs4 on there.

No, just use Odin(or Mobile Odin) to flash the Garwynn source built kernel, the EL29 direct boot kernel was just used so you could safely do a factory reset and data wipe. I tried that ROM but couldn't get data working, had a JB modem and all, let me know if you get data working. And yes, with the Garwynn source it will give you Agat's recovery, where you can flash the tbgs4 on there.

I don't use mobile odin...so for using Odin I will need the .tar file then?

Also, I currently have GC01 stock rooted which means I have the GC01 modem, will I have to update it to work on this GB27 Touched? - I will most likely install the GB27 thru one click installation

I don't use mobile odin...so for using Odin I will need the .tar file then?

Also, I currently have GC01 stock rooted which means I have the GC01 modem, will I have to update it to work on this GB27 Touched? - I will most likely install the GB27 thru one click installation

yes the .tar or .tar.md5 file (as the case may be) Come to think of it, I had the GC01 modem installed and had the data problems, you might want to try a different JB modem for data(of course it could of been just my phone being twitchy. I would say flash the modem in the recovery, as opposed to one-click, but I guess that really is a matter of preference. In recovery I flashed the modem first, then the ROM. Some say it doesn't matter which order you do it in, some say it does matter. When I put CM10.1 on here I flashed the modem first, and had zero problems with data.

yes the .tar or .tar.md5 file (as the case may be) Come to think of it, I had the GC01 modem installed and had the data problems, you might want to try a different JB modem for data(of course it could of been just my phone being twitchy. I would say flash the modem in the recovery, as opposed to one-click, but I guess that really is a matter of preference. In recovery I flashed the modem first, then the ROM. Some say it doesn't matter which order you do it in, some say it does matter. When I put CM10.1 on here I flashed the modem first, and had zero problems with data.

Got it all working including native wifi hotshot.. Not seeing to big of difference other then toggle switches and of course a recovery

Ok I have the s4 rom installed on my phone but running into major problems such as:
1)I installed the instructions on here down to the T, and I still get: 1) Unfortuantely the process com.android.phone has stopped. 2)Factory Test has stopped. I dont know what you guys did to get this rom up and running but could you please help a brother out? Garwwynns thread to the kernel isnt working either on thos post. But til helps come im flashing back to S3 Rom, thanks a bunch.

Have you done a factory reset? Wipe cache and delvik? Sometimes that will fix errors like that after installing a rom.

I followed the instructions myself and had no problems, but give it a factory reset and wipe botch cache and delvik and see if that clears it up for you before you go trying to reflash everything over with. Not sure about kernel but modem should be a JB modem since it is a JB Touch Wiz ROM.

Unsuccessful.... it keep giving me the unfortunately com.android.phone has stopped I did everything u told me to something is just ****** up that im doing and I cant catch it..... wtf! I mobile odin cwm EL26 in the kernel section of mobile odin, wiped data, cache, dalvik and JB format 2X afterwards installed the rom and got the same problem, what did I do wrong cause I flashed the s3 rom perfectly but this rom giving me hell. I even flashed the gb 27 modem. Didnt flash the gb 27 kernel cause dude said after I flash the S4 rom Iit would have gb 27 kernel

I don't use mobile odin.. I also couldn't get the GB27 modem to install with the .zip recovery file so I used the 1 click for the modem. I used regular odin to do direct boot cwm EL26

I am using the 0.5.0 version of the repacked kernal

There is also already a new version release of touched by s4.. going to wait as I just flashed it a couple days ago

if you were using the direct boot kernal that is el 29 that has a problem flashing modems mobile odin isnt any good for modems el 26 will flash a modem. im using the 4.1 with cwm thanks for the tip on the new s4 rom

Back
Top Bottom