• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

transfer a preferred version of an app from phone to phone?

Lock-N-Load

Android Expert
What would be the best way to transfer some apps from my phone to the Nexus that I would prefer to not download from the market since later versions suck.

For example, Weatherbug has reportedly gotten much worse and so I never upgraded. Thus, I want to move the version I have from my phone to the new phone and NOT download the latest version from the market. I have many apps like this that got ruined or worse as the devs messed with them.

So, what is the best way to move these over and not re-download newer versions that broke or lost functionality? Can I use something like Root Explorer to grab the APK and data (or at least the APK)?

Yes you can, or you can use Titanium backup on the original device and make your backup, Install TiBu on the new device and then transfer your TiBu folder to your new device and restore that way.

What would be the best way to transfer some apps from my phone to the Nexus that I would prefer to not download from the market since later versions suck.

For example, Weatherbug has reportedly gotten much worse and so I never upgraded. Thus, I want to move the version I have from my phone to the new phone and NOT download the latest version from the market. I have many apps like this that got ruined or worse as the devs messed with them.

So, what is the best way to move these over and not re-download newer versions that broke or lost functionality? Can I use something like Root Explorer to grab the APK and data (or at least the APK)?

have you heard about ICS ??? Guess lots of apps will NOT work or they work but slow the system down. So new apps designed for ICS only on nexus or downgrade to GB too to use old staff. Just a suggestion.

Its my understanding that ICS will be backwards compatable when it comes to apps, but those apps won't have the benifits of ICS till they are updated. If I am wrong, show me where I can read and learn more....

have you heard about ICS ??? Guess lots of apps will NOT work or they work but slow the system down. So new apps designed for ICS only on nexus or downgrade to GB too to use old staff. Just a suggestion.

Huh??? This sounds woefully incorrect. And no, I have never read such a thing and I have read all kinds of ICS and Nexus info.

Apps should run, but may not have the benefits of ICS until updated. But you don't downgrade to GB. Bah!

Yes you can, or you can use Titanium backup on the original device and make your backup, Install TiBu on the new device and then transfer your TiBu folder to your new device and restore that way.

I have thought about that and I also use MBP but the interesting thing is that with no SD card, do we just attach the old phone to the computer or take out the SD card and copy all related backup files/directories of your backup app of choice to your computer, attach the Nexus phone to the computer, move over those MBP or TiBu backup directories onto the phone into some sort of partition that it shows which is separate than the internal memory?

It seems logical to move all over your backup files and their directories over, load up MBP or TiBu and then tell it to "restore" and restore the apps & data of choice, but I wonder if that is really the only way and best way to do it.

But I also wondered, for rooted people, if you could just grab the APKs of choice off the phone, with something like Root Explorer, and would grab those by going into Parent Folder > data > app and paste them onto your computer and then email them to yourself and click to install?

From my understanding, the SGN, like the Gallaxy S (I think) that has no SD card, will have partitions in the memory and will act the same way when connected to a PC. So, yes, make your back-up, hook your Droid to your PC and transfer your files from your SD card to your PC, then hook up your new SGN and transfer onto that phone. install TiBu (or app of choice) onto new phone and restore.
As far as pulling the APK, yes, that can be done as well. find the APK, be it a system app or what have you and and copy it the same way as above.

I always keep a back-up copy of my complete SD card on my PC just in case it craps out anyway. not a big deal.

BTW, if you have/get TiBU, I suggest backing up those apps, upgrading them, and then trying them. If you don't like the latest version, restore your backup from TiBU.

For example, I have been running WB for the past year and a half and haven't noticed it get any worse because of newer versions. Maybe you should try it yourself instead of going off of hearsay.

BTW, if you have/get TiBU, I suggest backing up those apps, upgrading them, and then trying them. If you don't like the latest version, restore your backup from TiBU.

For example, I have been running WB for the past year and a half and haven't noticed it get any worse because of newer versions. Maybe you should try it yourself instead of going off of hearsay.

I just can't bring myself to use Weather Bug :( I used to do desktop support 5-6 years ago and back then WB was THE DEVIL, No I'm not joking it literally was the DEVIL... It destroyed more PC's and caused more issues then any "real" virus I ever dealt with.

I've heard rumors that they cleaned up their act but I just can't, I can't.

*crawls into the corner to cry*

Back
Top Bottom