• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Transfer Phone/Data Plan Between Phone Numbers

IamMark

Feb 11, 2011
Hopefully someone can help me with this.

I have a Droid X with the promotional $15/month 150MB data plan. My wife is eligible for an upgrade, and we were thinking of getting her her first smart phone. She will definitely not be a heavy data user. We are under the same Family Plan.

I would like to use her upgrade to purchase a new Droid Incredible 2 with the unlimited data plan. After doing so, I would like to transfer her phone and data plan to my phone number and vice versa (transfer my phone and data plan to her number). I'm getting conflicting info as to whether or not this can be done. I've read a post on Verizon's forum that suggests this is possible, but I called Verizon and was told that it isn't. The CSR told me that since my data plan is promotional and no longer available, there is no way to perform the transfer.

Is this correct? Is there no way of getting the $15/month plan onto my wife's phone number (regardless of whether we switch phones or not)?

Thanks.

In my experience, you should be able to switch the phones between family plan numbers. The service isn't changing at all, it is simply which phone is activated to which phone number. That being said, I would do it before the 7th in case they want to hassle you and say that changing the data plan to another phone is cause to loose the unlimited data plan. I've succesfully changed phone numbers between family plan phones in the past without ANY hassle (one was a smart phone and the other was a dumb phone) regarding contracts, fees, or service (including the data plan).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones