• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Trouble with Google Now under ICS

vizuvius

Lurker
Just upgraded the OS in my Bionic to ICS yesterday. First thing I want to do is use Google Now. However, I can not figure out how to start and configure it.

When the phone started after the upgrade, a message said "long press the search button to use Google Now"

I did that, the screen flashed a few times, and ended up in Google Search.

I looked around the Net, and th next thing I heard to do is to swipe up from the bottom to bring up the Google Now interface.

This does nothing either.

Anyone with ideas what I am missing? Could it be that some software is interfering with Google Now? Should I do a full factory reset?

I am using the base Android launcher, but I did install Swipe for my keyboard.

Thanks for the help

Just upgraded the OS in my Bionic to ICS yesterday. First thing I want to do is use Google Now. However, I can not figure out how to start and configure it.

When the phone started after the upgrade, a message said "long press the search button to use Google Now"

I looked around the Net, and th next thing I heard to do is to swipe up from the bottom to bring up the Google Now interface.

Anyone with ideas what I am missing? Could it be that some software is interfering with Google Now? Should I do a full factory reset?

Thanks for the help

I'm assuming you mean upgraded to Jelly bean (JB).

Yes, a long press does indeed bring it up, and Now is part of search in that you will see a search bar at the top. When you first bring it up, there is some things you do need to do first, just press through the prompts. When you get to the main Now screen, you simply say Google and it brings you to a voice option where you speak what you want. Some things it will respond back to you vocally, some will just bring up a web search.

Thanks for the help

Welcome to Android Forums.

Did you just upgrade to ICS or JB. You need JB to get Google Now.

Go to Settings / System settings / About phone and read System version

98.72.22... is JB
6.7.246... is ICS

... Thom

Yes, JB, not ICS. Regardless, If I long press the search button, I do not see any pages to click through - it blinks once or twice (which might mean it si skipping something) and then goes to Google Search

I might try a factory reset tonight and see if that helps. Hassle, but I just did one a couple of weeks ago

One other thing. I had the issue where Google now did not come up after installation of JB. It was just normal search. I had to go to the play store and search "Google search" and install the update from there. Then Google Now was up and working. Didn't just update for me from the JB update.

Welcome to Android Forums.

Did you just upgrade to ICS or JB. You need JB to get Google Now.

Go to Settings / System settings / About phone and read System version

98.72.22... is JB
6.7.246... is ICS

... Thom
Actually, I have GNow on ICS but you need root.

Eff Google Now if it's going to kill my battery before the end of my 8 hour shift... That's ridiculous. I don't even use my phone much at work and it cant make it thru because of google now... Too bad it seems like a neat app, but unless there's a way to seriously reduce the amt of battery power its eating up, it will stay disabled until I get a new phone (and will be promptly disabled if it becomes a problem on THAT phone...)

Is Google now terribly slow for anyone here? It takes 5 seconds to open after I hold down the search key and then at least 20 seconds to bring up my intended search. I did a fdr a few weeks ago, and it didn't change the sluggishness. Also, I used to be able to say "call Starbucks" and it would call the nearest one, now it brings up a search for call Starbucks. Is there any way to uninstall Google now or am I stuck with this?

My obervations have been that it is a frustrating app. You might be able to uninstall updates and then disable.

I unflashed mine but I was running it custom under ICS. Just wasn't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom