• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trouble with root and build.prop won't save on reboot (Need Hotspot)

cliMAKtic

Lurker
Hi all.. I am having some issues with both rooting and modding my build.prop.

My ultimate goal right now is to have a stable root, on essentially stock rom, with a modded/bypassed native tether app (I have unlimited data and verizon blocks it). I am having issues with both processes, and if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated!

First, I am having a ton of trouble with the temp root process; I am using Kingroot, and although I have been able to gain root successfully, it seems completely random when the process works and when it doesn't. About a quarter of the time, the root seemingly works.. the rest of the time, I either get force crashes on all running apps until system reboot, I am told I have root but cant access system files still, or the root fails altogether. Perhaps there is a flaw in my process? I also have been unable to update the SU binaries.. I have tried using both the latest stable and beta APKs from Chainfire. Is there a specific process that someone has used more successfully, order of installations, etc?

Secondly, when I have gained root successfully, I have been trying to add a line into my build prop to bypass the tether subscription check, which I believe will work.. but whenever I reboot my phone, it overwrites my saved changes to Build.prop. I will successfully get r/w (Using root explorer btw), mod the build.prop just adding in a single line, save, and then reopen confirming that the changes stuck. However, when I reboot, the stock Build.prop comes right back. I have also attempted to copy a modded brand new build.prop into /System instead, which also appeared to work, but ends with the same problem on reboot.

Please note that if possible I want to keep running stock, I do not want to have to flash a modded rom.

TL;DR - Root is finnicky, SU binaries won't update and build.prop resets to stock on reboot even after confirmed edits.

Welcome to Android Forums.

This thread was posted in the Turbo forum and since it is root-related it was moved to the sub-forum where that is discussed.

If the device in question is not the Motorola Droid Turbo, please identify it and this thread will be moved to its root-related sub-forum.

... Thom

Unfortunately the Droid Turbo has write protection, so when you reboot the bootloader detects that changes were made and restores things to the way they were.
The only way to get the changes to stick are by using sunshine to unlock your bootloader (Sunshine costs $25 for a license)
You must gain temp root, and run sunshine to have the bootloader unlocked. Once unlocked you can flash twrp using adb.
Once you have twrp installed and boot into record very the 1st thing it'll ask is if you want to disable write protection.
With TWRP you can flash Supersu and have stable, full root on your stock ROM.
This is the only way to do it. There are debloated stock images on XDA, plus we ha e CyanogenMod and resurrection remix ROM.
$25 is a lot but Jcase and Beaups spent a lot of time finding this exploit for us, and to me was worth every cent!

-typed on my Bootloader Unlocked Droid Turbo XT1254 CM12.1

Back
Top Bottom