• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Troubleshoot screencast of Moto G 5G

Rgarner

Android Expert
Today I was trying to help my friend screencast with his Moto G 5G. I found screencast but it said no wifi. When I checked, it was on but I switched it off and on again just to be safe. It still lies no wifi and the screencast option is still dark.

what tv are you trying to cast to? some tv's do not support it.

also i just found this:
from the reddit thread:
MotoAgents
3y ago
Motorola Employee

I'm afraid this can't be fixed with an update, u/labattwho. Roku uses Miracast and not Chromecast technology for their mirroring. Our devices do not support Miracast for screen mirroring. Even Google Pixel devices do not support Miracast. This is a change Google made years ago in favor of the Chromecast technology.- Mike

If it has to be chrome, how do we do it? I don't know why they don't support anything else. They should at least mention that.

You mean they actually charge extra for a separate device? They have a lot of nerve. I'm not shelling out for that thing. Why don't they support miracast? I guess it wouldn't be that hard.

Will this even work with a plasma tv? It's new enough to have hdmi but I don't suppose that has anything to do with it. I get really tired of this stuff.

Not wirelessly unless you go the chromecast route. You can try hooking a USB to admit cable to the tv.
I'd check that the Moto supports USB to HDMI before buying the adapter (we know the TV has HDMI in, but that's all we know for sure so that's how I'm assuming you'd have to connect it).

A Chromecast requires an HDMI port to connect the dongle to and a mains socket to power the dongle.

Google deciding to drop support for an open standard in favour of their own proprietary one was a very Apple move, but it does show that these companies are all much the same.

Back
Top Bottom