• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root trying to free up space on sd card, clockwordmod, 1.2 gigs used, need suggestions plz

I got an error message when I went to do a rom mgr backup last night, It said I only had 3.4megs of available space left, I was surprised to see that, before i rooted the sd was almost empty.
i used my astro file mgr to look around and see what was taking up most of the space on the sd card.
Turns out that the clockworkmod file/backup folder was 1.23gigs. I have 3 backups in there, since it was recommended not to change the file name im not 100% sure what each one is, but I do believe this first one (oldest date) is when I first rooted w/ unrevoked. does that mean that that backup is a image of the phone rooted, or is it a backup of the phone before root?
not sure what the second one was and the third one I believe to be when I flashed skyraider 3.5.
So is there anything I can do with that folder hogging up so much space, or do I just need to buy a bigger sd, If I do need to get a bigger card how do i swap the clockworkmod folder from old card to new card? hook up to my pc find that file copy/paste to comp, install new card and copy/paste back to new sd card? is there any walk troughs for this?
Thanks
Ken

the first one you have is your phone when you first rooted. You have three options really, just move the backups to another location (another sdcard, computer, or some other storage media) or just delete them if you don't think you'll need them. I personally only have one backup saved on my sdcard, and all others are on my computer and another sd card. The third option would be to get a larger sd card (the incredible supports up to 32GB) and just copy everything to there.

the first one you have is your phone when you first rooted. You have three options really, just move the backups to another location (another sdcard, computer, or some other storage media) or just delete them if you don't think you'll need them. I personally only have one backup saved on my sdcard, and all others are on my computer and another sd card. The third option would be to get a larger sd card (the incredible supports up to 32GB) and just copy everything to there.

I just copied all three backups to my pc, which one should I keep on my phone?
is there anyway to find out for sure what each backup is other then flashing to it?

thanks
Ken

I always just keep the one I most recently made on my phone and copy or delete the others. There's no real easy way to tell what each one is without flashing it. Like you said the one with the earliest date is most likely from when you first rooted your phone. The other two were probably created before you flashed a rom, or flashed anything from Rom manager(a mod to the rom you are using/kernel etc).

I actually rename them before saving it. I took the instructions as once it is named and saved, don't change it. So I have one that reads 2010.12.07.1234 and one that reads SenseRaiderOCUV, I know that one is skyraider 3.5 with Hydra kernal, and the other is just before I flashed skyraider. As for storage, I have the first one on the PC(moving it back tonight) as well as all of the addons such as themes are bookmarked if I ever wanna go back. All I am keeping as of tonight is the original and what I have set up now. At .5GB, those backups hog a lot of space.

Back
Top Bottom