• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TU went swimming and still alive!!!

ChickenMonkee

Yesterday my dear wife dropped my TU in the toilet, it survived! I left it in a bag of rice all day, but when I checked on it last night it was still wet. So I tried something different that worked. If this happens to you first thing yoy do is pull the battery, shake as much water as possible from the phone and then disassemble it carefully. Sorry no pics on this job but a tip is after you remove the 6 screws inside battery cover you remove the body by sliding something like a mini flathead screwdriver between the chrome trim and the keyboard. Doesn't look like it comes apart this way but it does, I have many nicks to prove it. Next remove the tin plate over mainboard, 2 black screws. Carefully remove mainboard and carefully pull keyboard flat ribbon connection off mainboard. Remove screws to keypad ( I think it's like 6 or 8 screws) and pull keypad off. Now you need to find something you can put all parts in to submerge them in alcohol. NO, not Tequila, rubbing alcohol! 91% is recommended but all I had was rubbing alcohol 70%. The alcohol displaces the water and evaporates. Dry it as good as you can shaking excess out and using paper towels or rags. Then put parts in a plastic bag and use a vacuum cleaner hose attachment to vacuum compress bag and parts to further remove moisture. Put phone back together. I let phone and battery sit overnight over a 40 watt lightbulb, glass side facing the bulb. Lastly put battery in and turn on your (hopefully) working TU!!!
DO NOT PUT BATTERY IN ALCOHOL!!! It will kill it! My first call sounded likme digital garbage, second was perfect. Everything else works as it should, 3G, WiFi, keyboard etc. Only problem I can see is my screen is splotchy with moisture but works fine including touch. Using it to send this message to you!!!

Hope this helps someone :):):-)

Back
Top Bottom