• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

turn off phone charging automatically?

Odd Rain

I have an app (accubattery) that can sound an alarm when the phone battery is charged to a certain level (e.g. 60%). But it cannot turn off charging. I have to unplug the charger. But sometimes I miss the alarm (e.g. left the room) and the battery ended up fully charged.

Is there a way to do this automatically? Is there some battery app that can send a trigger to an automation app like IFTTT, which can be programmed to turn off a smart plug the phone charger is plugged into?

Accubattery can predict when the phone would charge to XX%

With that info you might want to use a timer to cut off the power to the charger. There are timers that can be installed on the wall outlet and they are cheap.

I have an app (accubattery) that can sound an alarm when the phone battery is charged to a certain level (e.g. 60%). But it cannot turn off charging. I have to unplug the charger. But sometimes I miss the alarm (e.g. left the room) and the battery ended up fully charged.
Is there a way to do this automatically? Is there some battery app that can send a trigger to an automation app like IFTTT, which can be programmed to turn off a smart plug the phone charger is plugged into?

I was searching for this and messed my head so much to build such a device which can actually turn off the charger when the battery hits 95%. So my plan was to set an alarm after 2 hours from the charger plugged in. When the alarm will ring I will use a sound detector to turn on a motor which will manually turn off the switch of the charger. It was my plan and I will built it one day.

The solution I use is similar to the first suggested solution. I plug the charger into a countdown shutoff timer that is set to 20 minutes and my target charge is 50%. Usually after 20 minutes the phone is near 50%. If it's way below, I start the timer again. If it goes above 50%, accubattery sounds an alarm and if I'm nearby I unplug the phone. If not, it may charge to 60%, which is still ok.

Not very accurate or very automatic, but good enough. The phone is now 2 years old and there is no noticeable deterioration of the battery :)

i see no need for these type of apps or solutions. lithium-ion batteries are designed to last 3-4 years......so yes in the 3rd and 4th year you will most definitely see a drop in battery life or might have charging issues. however for me, i usually get a new phone by then. this way i can play with my phone any way i please and not have to worry about battery life down the road. all this charging to 50% for 20 minutes or having an app monitor and send an alarm when it gets to a certain battery % is just non sense and a waste of time for me. i am a power user. i use my phone to play games stream and i need it for gps all thru the course of an average work day. at the end of the day all i do is set it on my charger in the evening before i go to bed and go to sleep. i wake the next morning and rinse and repeat.

.....but hey, if it works for you and you do not mind the added worry and stress then be my guess.

Back
Top Bottom