• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Two rom questions - Goo IM

Hey people,

Two questions.

1) After installing IceColdSandwich, I noticed after the update of the ROM there is the GooManager app on there that keeps telling me a new version is available. is it recommended to let that update and ROM for me?

1a) will that keep my apps or do a fresh wipe etc? or am i better of just using it as a notify tool and then downloadin the new ROM and flashing myself, seems like it would be alright.

2) Whats the best way to get all my apps back on the phone if i am updating the ROM weekly?
EDIT: i know about titanium backup but it on XDA page for the ROM is specififcally says to avoid using it to backup and restore etc etc.

Help greatly appreciated! :D

1) I am not sure if Goo updates the ROM (as if there was an OTA from HTC) or if it just downloads the zip (like ROM Manager did), so you can flash it in recovery (I never used ROM Manager to flash a new ROM... I read on here something about not doing that and just flashing it yourself in ClockWorkMod)... I keep seeing the notification for an update and have been ignoring it (for now).

1a) As I haven't used it, I can't really comment... if it's anything like ROM Manager, I'd use it to download the ROM and then flash it yourself. I would have thought that you'd be best preforming a full wipe (check the ROM thread on XDA and, if the dev says it's ok to flash over the top, as an update, then there's no need for a wipe).

2) All your apps are backed up on your google play account and, when you log back in on your newly flashed phone, the paid apps should start to download automatically... you can then choose to download (or not, as the case has been with several apps for me the last time I flashed my phone) any of the others you have downloaded before (when in google play hit "menu=>my apps" and it takes you to all apps that you have installed... a quick swipe to the right and you see "all" which includes all other apps you have ever had (on any of your devices)). If you have backed up the app data, you can then restore it (I think this is slightly different to restoring apps from Titanium)... I am not 100% sure on that though, so am prepared for someone to correct me :)

Upvote 0
Just a quick reply as I'm on my phone, but goo manager will download a zip file that you can flash in recovery. I think it downloads it to its own folder on your SD card.

Will add some more info later :)

Goo Manager is where LorD ClockaN is loading up the test and new versions of IceColdSandwich,
and CDPlant is correct it will only download the zip that you then flash in recovery.

You can flash a new version over the previous
without doing a FULL Wipe and you will not lose any apps of info.

But if you have problems with a Test or new version you may need to full wipe.

If you are coming from a different NON ICS rom you will need to do a full wipe.

Always do a nandroid back up first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones