• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Uh oh... do I have to buy a new phone now?

omarfw

I have a Rise and managed to successfully root it. Until now all I had done was use Rom Toolbox to adjust simple stuff like cpu tweaks.

I was fooling around with the tweaking app Pimp my rom today and installed busybox. After applying some tweaks I rebooted.

...only to discover that nothing on my phone works now except for the pull down menu. My background displays properly but it continuously throws up "Unfortunately, launcher has stopped." This prevents anything from loading up or me from changing anything.

I would plug it into my computer but the damn thing is stuck on charge only mode and I cannot access it with adb.

Doing a hard reset did not fix the problem.

Am I screwed in terms of making this phone ever work again?

If your not in a bootloop & made a copy or backup of your buildprop that might fix it I had missed my rise up with some buildprop tweaks I just lucky I had a backup, if someone uploaded a original unaltered buildprop tweak you could probably use that also by using esploerer opening it up as text copy it & delete all the stuff in your buildprop & paste it in there, iam sure someone will have a better fix then that but if your not in a bootloop of death yet then you can still fix it

I have a Rise and managed to successfully root it..... I screwed in terms of making this phone ever work again?

No. Its not a brick. You deleted, modified or freezed a system resource file which was needed by system.
If u are rooted then i assume u have cwm recovery installed. If yes then u are saved.
Download a rom for ur handset put it on ext sd. And flash it via cwm.
Or u can try official updater to ur handset from official site.

Remember if you can turn on ur set then u can reflash os. (by various ways)

Regards

No. Its not a brick. You deleted, modified or freezed a system resource file which was needed by system.
If u are rooted then i assume u have cwm recovery installed. If yes then u are saved.

Regards

I did not use CWM since I believe the Rise is not supported by it at this time. I rooted using Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

I couldn't get the kyocera drivers to work so I used the drivers included with the PDAnet application.

junefabrics.com/android/download.php

My phone is also stuck in charge only mode and I cannot get the initial bat I used to recognize it anymore since it requires debugging mode and storage mode to be enabled. The "launcher has stopped" error prevented me from selecting a different usb mode and after the hard reset the options are not even selectable now.

So now I can't connect it to my pc to flash a new rom onto it. :(

Regards

Be sure to read our thread on CWM here. ;)

I did not use CWM since I believe the Rise is not supported by it at this time. I rooted using Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry.

I couldn't get the kyocera drivers to work so I used the drivers included with the PDAnet application.

My phone is also stuck in charge only mode and I cannot get the initial bat I used to recognize it anymore since it requires debugging mode and storage mode to be enabled. The "launcher has stopped" error prevented me from selecting a different usb mode and after the hard reset the options are not even selectable now.

We don't have a stock rom to flash anyways.

If you have no adb or phone functions, your screwed. Thats the risk with messing with /system files on a phone with no custom recovery.

We don't have a stock rom to flash anyways.

If you have no adb or phone functions, your screwed. Thats the risk with messing with /system files on a phone with no custom recovery.

That's what I assumed. It's a great phone but it's also pretty cheap so I guess I'll sell this wiped one for parts and get a new one. I just wish I knew exactly what I had changed to cause this. Probably the I/O tweaks. Would installing busybox incorrectly get rid of necessary system files? I'd like to avoid doing this again in the future obviously. I have no plans to stop rooting my phone(s), but I need to educate myself on what is safe to do.

Also, what is the best recovery option recommended for the Rise so I can prepare for future incidents like this?

"Unfortunately, launcher has stopped."

Am I screwed in terms of making this phone ever work again?

Yes having formentioned constatly popping up means ui is corrupted somewhere and given no cwm its self explanatory since you need this for a true stock restore anything else does not touch the ui especially 3e recovery you see.On one of my rises I overclocked gpu to adreno 400 it worked but just like how I unlocked the bootloader its only momentarily.Turn the phone off and you will brick

Additional commentary for those who are scared to try out ChainFire 3D it works even with egl install just with a locked bootloader the settings for egl is not there everything else is

Id also like to second the fact that we have yet to achieve custom recovery/roms bc of our bootloader situation.however,if you wouldn't mind,id like to offer a hand.can you explain to me what files/apps were modified or being used prior to this issue?
If the launcher is the only thing force closing,go to settings-applications-then tab over to all-find launcher and clear data/cache on it.this will reset your homescreen setup,but may in fact fix the force close.
Also,if using the pimp my rom tweaks fudged something up,those tweaks I'm pretty certain are stored in the build.prop file in /system.if that's the case,the only tweaks I've applied to my build.prop are the egl ones which seem safe.if you're on Virgin Mobile USA,I can def unload my build.prop for you to copy and replace.I don't see why that would harm your device.
Let me know,hate to see someone stuck in these situations.

Edit:if its stuck in charge only mode,and you had usb debugging enabled previously,it *should* pick it up on the pc.if the launcher FCs on you while plugged into the pc,just let it hang on the FC screen that pops up.if you need valid drivers,I can get you setup with those also.

however,if you wouldn't mind,id like to offer a hand.can you explain to me what files/apps were modified or being used prior to this issue?

I had the phone rooted with SU installed and was using Rom Toolbox Pro to tweak stuff like my existing build.prop entries, my heapsize, cpu governers, ad host blocking, freezing some stock google apps etc. Nothing I did with this app did anything to screw my phone up.

Then I picked up Pimp My Rom. You can find the list of things it tweaks at the previous link. This had quite a heftier list of tweaks which were also a bit "one size fits all" in some areas so I knew it was a riskier tweaking app going into it, but I made a nandroid backup prior and didn't think anything I applied would result in locking my device to this degree.

If the launcher is the only thing force closing,go to settings-applications-then tab over to all-find launcher and clear data/cache on it.this will reset your homescreen setup,but may in fact fix the force close.

Everything force closes. It's just the launcher that has predominance over everything since it loads first and it steals the focus from everything else. If I ever manage to make it far enough to open something that involves anything else, it throws up a system.ui error. Dialing my voicemail through the notification bar results in another error. Everything is borked, and since a hard reset didn't fix things it looks like the rom itself is corrupted.

Also,if using the pimp my rom tweaks fudged something up,those tweaks I'm pretty certain are stored in the build.prop file in /system.if that's the case,the only tweaks I've applied to my build.prop are the egl ones which seem safe.if you're on Virgin Mobile USA,I can def unload my build.prop for you to copy and replace.I don't see why that would harm your device.

Edit:if its stuck in charge only mode,and you had usb debugging enabled previously,it *should* pick it up on the pc.if the launcher FCs on you while plugged into the pc,just let it hang on the FC screen that pops up.if you need valid drivers,I can get you setup with those also.

Don't remember if I had it enabled, but the hard reset will have disabled it most likely.

Since most of the tweaks I applied were for my build.prop, fixing it would be simple if my PC would simply let me navigate the phone. It detects it as a usb modem and nothing I do will allow me to navigate it as an MTP device.

Still, if you have drivers that are different than what I've gone through, I'm more than happy to try those.

When you connect your phone to your PC,what does it say as a device?start-run-devmgmt.msc under any windows version will bring up device manager.it should show at the top under android phones.if it doesn't then let me know.if it DOES say anything adb related,you should be able to adb into the filesystem.are you familiar with adb commands?

The Rise is on sale at radioshack for 59.99 but I bought the htc evo 4 v that was on sale for 129.99 plus there still on sale & still offering 10.00 reimbursement. Recipte towards anything in radio shack for your phone, but if you do get the Rise again get a flyer from radio shack& pricematch it at bestbuy & buy the geeksquad extended warrenty because they've replaced several bricked rises from me & radio shack will not, but thats only if you insist in getting a rise again as a replacement,

The extra 10.00 gift recipte is only if you buy it at radio shack though. But if you plan on rooting without a custom recovery bought fromfronts radio shack its dangerous because they will not replace a bricked Rise, also ive had Virgin Mobile replace the phone free for me for free also if you don't mention its rooted

But thats why I said pricematch a radioshack. Flyer at bestbuy & get the geeksquad. Protection

also ive had Virgin Mobile replace the phone free for me for free also if you don't mention its rooted

Is that only if you purchase the insurance for the extra $7 a month though? I didn't get that.

When you connect your phone to your PC,what does it say as a device?start-run-devmgmt.msc under any windows version will bring up device manager.it should show at the top under android phones.if it doesn't then let me know.if it DOES say anything adb related,you should be able to adb into the filesystem.are you familiar with adb commands?

This is how it shows up.

MPWZk7X.png

ADB shows no devices when I use the "devices" command. Windows treats it like a mass storage device, but one that is empty. Like an SD card reader with no card in it.

Nope you get a one year warranty on your phone once you active it. Just need to call virgin and explain to them that phone doesn't work

Nope you get a one year warranty on your phone once you active it. Just need to call virgin and explain to them that phone doesn't work

Thanks. I called them and they are sending out a replacement in a couple days. :D

The drivers for the rise are here
If you don't have to use pdanet you should try these
Kyocera Wireless Support: Phone Drivers

Those are the ones I tried initially. ADB wouldn't recognize my device until I used the PDAnet ones.

So I've got my new Rise and I'll be rooting it shortly. Can anyone recommend the best way to root a Rise with the least risk involved and what the best way to back it up would be?

what the best way to back it up would be?

Rom toolbox,app manager,do a batch backup of all apps.Therefore given you dont change anything significant and render your phone usless you can restore through this way either system or user wise.Just remember for system use any form of root explorer,copy desired apk into system/app and change permissoions to rw r r and save.Reg install does not work

Back
Top Bottom