• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROMs Ultra-lean ROM for HTC Desire?

The smallest ROM for a HTC Desire is dGB. It's stripped down to the point where you can fit it in a 60MB system partition - if you are S-Off there are custom hboots available from that site to use with it to maximise the phone storage.

There's a thread for the ROM in the forum here. The guides and faqs in the Desire All Things Root Guide post should help, or just ask over in Desire - All Things Root (there's still a couple of people holding the increasingly empty fort there ;)).

When you consider the age of the phone, it's not surprising if threads are old. Gingerbread was developed about as far as it can be for this phone by early 2012, the hardware isn't really ideal for ICS or JB and most developers have moved on. But lack of updates doesn't mean that stuff doesn't work - dGB is rock solid, and should do fine for what you want.

Reactions: Gorf123
Upvote 0
Cheers for that - the only reason for minimising storage overhead was the poor arrangement of the phone in its stock state - If I recall correctly, I only downloaded four apps before the memory was full! I figured that if I was going to have to remove all the dross that is preinstalled, I might as well root the phone so I can properly get everything onto the SD card. Then I decided that if I was going to the hassle of rooting the phone, I might as well stick a custom ROM on it.

My main reason for wanting a lean ROM is to remove as many resources that are taking up CPU cycles as possible.

Fair point about the age of the phone. I'll check out dGB. Thanks for the pointer...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones