• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to Access the Internet Although Wifi Connects

Befuddled

Lurker
Have used an LG Optimus V for months with no issues. Bought a Slider which works fine except, on our home network, it connects to Wifi but will not access the internet. At the university, it connects to Wifi and allows surfing. Tried it tonight at a friend's home with Wifi, and the LG Slider connects and accesses the internet. At home, I have an Ipad 2, a Logitech Squeezebox and a desktop computer operating seamlessly off our Wifi. The router is a Netgear WNR2000 connected to local cable provider. Had some early other issues with the LG Slider, and a factory reset resolved them. Have taken the battery out twice, waited, and reinserted. No luck. Have selected Forget in the Froyo wireless options and re-entered the Wifi password twice. It always connects, but still no surfing.

What might be a next step?

I have issues with my wifi as well. My wifi signal strength icon starts gray, momentarily goes white, then goes green. It sometimes stays white (commonly after waking the screen). If it stays white I have no internet. I have to toggle wifi off and on for wifi to resume. Luckily I have "In-App Wifi Toggle" which makes the toggle easy.

Is it possible that you changed the password for your WiFi and are entering your old password in your phone? And maybe all your other devices already have that new password. The reason I mention is because that happened to me.

Even though I entered my old WiFi password into my LG Optimus Slider, it said it connected. Although when I tried to use it over Wifi, it gave me the no connection error. I went back and checked my WiFi password on my PC, remembered I had changed it and then entered the new password. Then it connected fine over the WiFi and worked.

I'm not sure if this will help you Befuddled, but I was having wifi problems similar to what BeTrue was describing.

Check the wifi sleep policy on your phone. For some reason, the default is for it to sleep when the screen turns off. I set it to never and haven't had any problems since.

To access the wifi sleep policy, Go to Menu - Settings - Wireless and Networks - WiFi Settings. At the WiFi Settings screen press the menu button to access the Advanced menu, there you will find the WiFi sleep policy option.

Hope that helps.

I wondered where they hid that setting, my old Intercept had it with the rest of the wifi settings. Thanks!

FYI: changing to never has not solved the problem.
I do not have this problem with Intercept or EVO 4G.

I have the same wifi issue as well but only on networks unprotected by passwords. My slider connects, gets an IP address but cannot get to the internet. I have not had this issue on Pass Protected Networks.

Back
Top Bottom