• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unable To Uninstall Microsoft Outlook

My ability to uninstall Microsoft Outlook has turned into an endless loop.

I have looked up and followed the instructions about removing Outlook's permission to be a device administrator.

Then, in Play Store, I can uninstall Outlook.

However, I am only uninstalling the updates. If I uninstall the updates, the Uninstall button goes away, and the app still does not have device admin privileges.

Is there a safe way to remove Outlook, or should I disable it?

Try uninstalling from the system Settings (Settings > Apps) rather than from the Play Store app?

(That's how I always uninstall, so I've no experience of using Play Store for that task)

Thanks. I went to Settings->Apps and Notifications-->App info (All Apps) All I am allowed to do is Uninstall updates, and after that the choices are Force Stop and Deactivate.

Did your phone come with it pre-installed? I've not heard of that but could imagine it. If so then "disable" will be all you can do.

That said, if it's pre-installed then removing all updates, clearing all data and disabling is equivalent to uninstalling: the remaining copy is in the system partition, and you couldn't use any space that was freed up there anyway, so it may as well be uninstalled.

yep, if all you can do is uninstall updates for any app then that means the app is part of os of your phone. any pre-installed apps are part of the system apps and it cannot be uninstalled. some people call these apps bloatware. the only way to bloatware can be removed, is if you root your phone.

Worth remembering that if you start modifying the ROM (e.g. removing apps from /system) you have to handle all future updates manually. Most phones these days will not install updates over the air if the system software has been changed. Disabling is a simpler solution.

(And of course official updates may restore the stuff you remove).

I got this trick from apknite about 4 years ago. I don't know if it still works or not but it's worth a try. Go to Settings > Security > Device administrators > and uncheck the app. Once unchecked, you can uninstall Outlook the usual way.

Back
Top Bottom